Chances of a judicial clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chances of a judicial clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:40 pm

My career office hasn't been responsive and I'm looking for advice. I have a low 3.2 at a T-14 (think of the last half), and I've recently started to apply for clerkships. Do I even have a chance, though? I've been applying to anything available in OSCAR and what the clerkship office lists for states I'm interested in living in. I've worked in lit since my 1L summer, with clinic my 2L year and I'm staying on clinic again this year. I worked in lit at a midsized firm this past summer. Any stories of success landing a clerkship below median, on secondary journal? Would I have a chance after working for a year or 2 at a firm? I was told to look at magistrate but I'm not sure if I'm competitive

Anonymous User

Re: Chances of a judicial clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:45 pm

So you're a 3L right? Number one concern is trying to kill it and get that gpa above median if that is possible. More to your question. Do you have any connections to non-competitive "fly-over" districts. I.e. did you grow in Nebraska or something? If so, use that connection and apply to district courts. Would also add that you should not, in your position, overlook state trial or intermediate appellate courts and federal magistrates because 1) they can be great clerkships and 2) help you stand out and get a federal district clerkship. If I had to guess, circuit clerkships are going to be nigh impossible but I truly think you have a non-zero chance at magistrate/state trial/intermediate appellate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:45 pm
So you're a 3L right? Number one concern is trying to kill it and get that gpa above median if that is possible. More to your question. Do you have any connections to non-competitive "fly-over" districts. I.e. did you grow in Nebraska or something? If so, use that connection and apply to district courts. Would also add that you should not, in your position, overlook state trial or intermediate appellate courts and federal magistrates because 1) they can be great clerkships and 2) help you stand out and get a federal district clerkship. If I had to guess, circuit clerkships are going to be nigh impossible but I truly think you have a non-zero chance at magistrate/state trial/intermediate appellate.
Yeah, 3L now. This year I'm only taking classes that aren't curved and after running numbers, I think it's possible to graduate with a mid to high 3.3, which should place me barely at median I think. My GPA has gone up since the first semester, but not much since I've taken evidence, federal jurisdiction, admin, and other curved classes for my 2L (I should've known better...). I have ties to 3 "fly-over" states but I've only seen one listing for a magistrate in one so far. I'm applying to other districts in non-popular states, I'm not being picky. I'm targeting magistrate and district courts, and I'll continue to search for state clerkships, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get realistic advice/expectations, I'm hoping for a district or federal magistrate but I'm not sure if it can work out, but thank you for your input

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:31 pm

Have you considered clerking for magistrate? I know they are less GPA heavy. Could do one year with mag and its a great way to get district court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:31 pm
Have you considered clerking for magistrate? I know they are less GPA heavy. Could do one year with mag and its a great way to get district court.
I'm hoping that the path you suggested works out. I do have a question, if you or anyone else can help: can I apply to magistrate judges that require 3 years of grades?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:45 pm
Yeah, 3L now. This year I'm only taking classes that aren't curved and after running numbers, I think it's possible to graduate with a mid to high 3.3, which should place me barely at median I think. My GPA has gone up since the first semester, but not much since I've taken evidence, federal jurisdiction, admin, and other curved classes for my 2L (I should've known better...). I have ties to 3 "fly-over" states but I've only seen one listing for a magistrate in one so far. I'm applying to other districts in non-popular states, I'm not being picky. I'm targeting magistrate and district courts, and I'll continue to search for state clerkships, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get realistic advice/expectations, I'm hoping for a district or federal magistrate but I'm not sure if it can work out, but thank you for your input
Don't wait for postings for said flyover mags. See if you can send paper/email apps and note connection in cover letter.

Also don't apply to mags that require 3 years of letters grades. If they explicitly have that requirement they have it for a reason and your app isn't strong enough to be disregarding explicit instructions (very few people's are).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Research state courts in states you have ties to. Ideally you have connections there you can work, or at least alums you can cold call to ask for advice on state court clerkships. I think you’d be competitive for state intermediate appellate court clerkships even if not SSCs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Research state courts in states you have ties to. Ideally you have connections there you can work, or at least alums you can cold call to ask for advice on state court clerkships. I think you’d be competitive for state intermediate appellate court clerkships even if not SSCs.
I suspect SSCs is going to be hard even with local connections. OP should still apply (OP should also apply to District judges and hell even COAs—zero cost), but to the extent he/she can use connections I'd focus on magistrates and state trial/intermediate appellate.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:57 pm

you are have a decent shot at magistrates if you apply broadly, including places where you don't have ties and for two year terms

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:59 pm

OP here. I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I didn't think of cold-emailing courts where I have ties, and this tip's been very helpful. I'll try to provide an update. Hopefully, this thread helps someone in a similar position as mine down the line. I've seen some good results so far, which is encouraging

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:58 am

I’m just going to share my stats/characteristics to give people hope:

1) non-t-14, but in top 30;

2) not top 1/3 and my school does not go lower than that, but Dean’s List for 3 semesters (once each year);

3) did not use any professor as recs. I had my a) my former managing partner (who I did substantial work for) b) my mentor/ prior supervising attorney who is now a Judge; c) my current d.Ct. Judge;

4) solid writer (think top brief at law school competitions; cali legal writing classes; published in numerous journals; won several legal writing awards) BUT not law review;

5) okay interviewer - but certainly have messed up in the past. I find that if I over prepare, then I do worse. I also try to talk less and really listen to the interviewer’s questions. I may have more experience when answering substantive questions. But I do not dance around my answers.

6) non-urm

7) I would say I have little to no connections - family is not in politics (or has the ability to influence politics). No friends or family in the law. Come from working middle class.

Results: dct clerkship in my region with a Judge who will be around for a while (not SDNY or a super competitive district, but not in the middle of nowhere)

Appellate clerkship in my goal region with a Judge who will be around for awhile. (Not DC, 2nd, competitive 9th spots, nor a true feeder). But my Judge was my first interview and I was offered relatively early, so I withdrew all my apps.

Don’t give up. Apply everywhere you are comfortable going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:58 am
3) b) my mentor/ prior supervising attorney who is now a Judge; c) my current d.Ct. Judge;

7) I would say I have little to no connections
hmm...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:16 pm

OP here, I just wanted to share an update. I was able to raise my GPA to 3.3, so I'm at median I think (or probably still below median, who knows with grade inflation and no class rankings). I applied very broadly on OSCAR, sent paper apps when possible, and sent apps non-stop, about 150 I think by the time I got my offer. I interviewed for a SSC (regional area ties but not to the state), 1 state trial court clerkship, 4 article I clerkships, and 1 article III clerkship (no ties to the regions or states). I received an offer to clerk for an article I judge, and I'm very happy about the opportunity. Most of my apps were to federal clerkships, I probably sent about 15 total to state clerkships. The process went on approximately for 4 months.

Hopefully, this post gives people hope not to give up. My clerkship office told me to forget about this, but my professors gave me the encouragement I needed to move forward in the process. For anyone on the fence, give it a try, it's better to shoot your shot than not try at all.

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:16 pm
OP here, I just wanted to share an update. I was able to raise my GPA to 3.3, so I'm at median I think (or probably still below median, who knows with grade inflation and no class rankings). I applied very broadly on OSCAR, sent paper apps when possible, and sent apps non-stop, about 150 I think by the time I got my offer. I interviewed for a SSC (regional area ties but not to the state), 1 state trial court clerkship, 4 article I clerkships, and 1 article III clerkship (no ties to the regions or states). I received an offer to clerk for an article I judge, and I'm very happy about the opportunity. Most of my apps were to federal clerkships, I probably sent about 15 total to state clerkships. The process went on approximately for 4 months.

Hopefully, this post gives people hope not to give up. My clerkship office told me to forget about this, but my professors gave me the encouragement I needed to move forward in the process. For anyone on the fence, give it a try, it's better to shoot your shot than not try at all.
Congrats! Glad that it worked out for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”