Updating Date on LOR Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Updating Date on LOR

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:19 pm

If there is nothing really new of substance for an LOR writer, should I, nonetheless, ask them to resubmit a letter with OSCAR with an updated date? Wondering if it looks weird to a judge to be reading a LOR in September 2022 that is dated June 2021

Anonymous User

Re: Updating Date on LOR

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 pm

I would say if it's a year's gap, then yes. You're applying for different cycles, and it's likely that the LoR has some information that should be updated. It isn't uncommon for applicants to have old LoRs, but it's a flaw people can identify in your materials--sometimes that's enough to take you out of the running. Also, if you didn't get a clerkship from that June 2021 cycle, it tips clerks off to the fact that you struck out. Which again, isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but not the best look. And if you did get a clerkship from that cycle, that's something your recommender may want to mention in an updated LoR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 pm
I would say if it's a year's gap, then yes. You're applying for different cycles, and it's likely that the LoR has some information that should be updated. It isn't uncommon for applicants to have old LoRs, but it's a flaw people can identify in your materials--sometimes that's enough to take you out of the running. Also, if you didn't get a clerkship from that June 2021 cycle, it tips clerks off to the fact that you struck out. Which again, isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but not the best look. And if you did get a clerkship from that cycle, that's something your recommender may want to mention in an updated LoR.
They're not going to have anything new to say about me—clerkship or otherwise—but maybe it is worth to send a quick email and be like hey can you update the date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:48 pm
They're not going to have anything new to say about me—clerkship or otherwise—but maybe it is worth to send a quick email and be like hey can you update the date?
If it’s just a date update and they have a faculty assistant, I think you can email them to do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:43 pm

What doed this forum think the life span of a rec letter is before it should be updated? A year maybe?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”