Regretting Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Regretting Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:53 am

So, I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this and it sucks to feel stuck in a job that’s not right for you. But I will note that 2 months is actually a pretty short period and it’s not necessarily surprising that they didn’t say anything to you before now, as they were likely waiting to see how you would adjust and handle the learning curve. So I guess my question is whether your main issue with the feedback is that they didn’t give it to you before this, or that you don’t agree with it? Because I think that affects how you respond. If there is feedback that makes sense and that you can take on board apart from feeling blindsided, that’s one thing. If none of the feedback makes sense, that’s another. (For instance, good feedback on the work you have done isn’t the same as handling the amount of work they want you to handle and a comment about the latter doesn’t negate the former.)

If the feedback doesn’t make any sense or seems unfair or isn’t stuff you can possibly change, that could be a reason to consider leaving, if the damage from staying will outweighs the damage from leaving. If there is feedback that you can take on board and use to turn things around, you could come out of this with a stronger relationship with the judge and learn a lot. I don’t mean that to sound condescending, just not certain what best describes your situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:28 am
So two months in I just got sat down and given a litany of things I’m doing wrong, which basically amount to “be happier to be here.” None of these were things that had been raised in any way before. Including a complaint that I wasn’t doing enough work, which really blindsided me because to the extent I’ve gotten feedback it’s been positive. I’m considering leaving early, but just don’t know what to do and feel trapped.
Is this OP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
So two months in I just got sat down and given a litany of things I’m doing wrong, which basically amount to “be happier to be here.” None of these were things that had been raised in any way before. Including a complaint that I wasn’t doing enough work, which really blindsided me because to the extent I’ve gotten feedback it’s been positive. I’m considering leaving early, but just don’t know what to do and feel trapped.
Is this OP?
No, this is OP. Actually, I thought I’d chime in and say things have been a lot better. I think it was a shock at first going from school to a 9-5, but (1) I’ve been trying to appreciate the fact that I have more free time than I will when I’m at BL and (2) I’m getting used to the job in a very good way.

I’d still probably leave after a year in a hypothetical situation, but I’m not really as miserable as I was at all. And I suspect things will get even better.

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this OP?
No, this is OP. Actually, I thought I’d chime in and say things have been a lot better. I think it was a shock at first going from school to a 9-5, but (1) I’ve been trying to appreciate the fact that I have more free time than I will when I’m at BL and (2) I’m getting used to the job in a very good way.

I’d still probably leave after a year in a hypothetical situation, but I’m not really as miserable as I was at all. And I suspect things will get even better.
glad to hear!

i personally actually had way more free time in biglaw, but my clerkship hours were longer than yours. clerkship still was more free time than law school. and yeah, clerkships often feel like a continuation of law school, so it can be a drag if you're really wanting to practice

i also felt better as the clerkship went along because I felt like i started to make friends and figure out fun things to do in the city I was in. I also traveled a lot on weekends. weekdays did a lot of zoom stuff with friends who were also spread all around because of clerking

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:49 pm

I'm a litigator so I have no idea what you should do, because one of the biggest benefits of a federal district court clerkship are that you get to see trial lawyers do what they do in live court. Some are crappy but in the course of a year you should see some really good ones. This clerkship is the only opportunity anyone ever gets to witness trials this way, consistently and more than once. It doesn't happen during law school. And it won't happen once you practice, or if you have an appellate clerkship.

I won't try to preach to an aspiring transactional lawyer that he or she should still learn something about trials because it's good for your overall legal education. But, that's really all I got if you don't like other aspects of the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anon, curious what you ended up deciding to do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:37 pm

I’m applying for other jobs that would start immediately, with some good prospects so far. I gave it a month, but it became increasingly clear the situation was not going to improve (and that the criticism really wasn’t reflective of my actual work), and some family developments occurred that also made it more urgent for me to leave. Once I decided to go I was immediately so much happier.

I think leaving is more common than people realize (have now connected with several others who have done it). I also think firms are beginning to realize that not all clerkships are good and are more open to taking people who leave early. If mentors tell you to leave and that you’ll land on your feet, trust them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:37 pm
I’m applying for other jobs that would start immediately, with some good prospects so far. I gave it a month, but it became increasingly clear the situation was not going to improve (and that the criticism really wasn’t reflective of my actual work), and some family developments occurred that also made it more urgent for me to leave. Once I decided to go I was immediately so much happier.

I think leaving is more common than people realize (have now connected with several others who have done it). I also think firms are beginning to realize that not all clerkships are good and more open to taking people who leave early. Also, if mentors tell you to leave and that you’ll land on your feet, trust them.
Good to hear you are much happier! Yes, a lot of people do not realize that leaving early is not as uncommon as they think. I think it is just less publicized by those who decided to leave early due to the stigma. Hope it all works out (which it will). :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:21 pm

I don't regret my clerkship but my judge is not pleasant. There are good things. This judge is new and mellow about leaving early and does not make me stay if they stay late. I get to do lots of research and writing and for the most part that part of the clerkship is fine. BUT my judge micro manages and then criticizes EVERYTHING which is just getting to me. I am trying to let it go but found this site due to thoughts of leaving. I am starting to interview for next year and I know I will have options. I am just tired of being criticized over ridiculous nonsense. I understand that as a new judge this judge wants to decide how their chambers is run and all but it is making more work and making life miserable. Just when I think things are ok I get blamed for something or criticized for something that has nothing to do with me. I am tired of being the beating post. My judge definitely is one with a mercurial personality....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:21 pm
I don't regret my clerkship but my judge is not pleasant. There are good things. This judge is new and mellow about leaving early and does not make me stay if they stay late. I get to do lots of research and writing and for the most part that part of the clerkship is fine. BUT my judge micro manages and then criticizes EVERYTHING which is just getting to me. I am trying to let it go but found this site due to thoughts of leaving. I am starting to interview for next year and I know I will have options. I am just tired of being criticized over ridiculous nonsense. I understand that as a new judge this judge wants to decide how their chambers is run and all but it is making more work and making life miserable. Just when I think things are ok I get blamed for something or criticized for something that has nothing to do with me. I am tired of being the beating post. My judge definitely is one with a mercurial personality....
This may not make you feel better, but being micromanaged and criticized over ridiculous nonsense is the essence of every clerkship and the first few years of legal practice. So... you may not want to ditch a prestigious clerkship for more of the same elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:21 pm
I would encourage you to get tougher skin about criticism, maybe.

I don't say that to everyone for all situations. You do not deserve to be yelled at, spoken to rudely, or treated in any abusive way whatsoever. However, if you are criticized on a purely substantive basis, pen redlined, heavily edited, and being told how to improve your analytical or writing skills in a very direct manner--but still humanely and professionally--then you will likely learn a lot from this judge, and I would say: Buckle up.

Toss everything I say if the judge is just a jerk. There IS a way to give constructive feedback without being abusive or unnecessarily hurtful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm

To above OP, I’m the person who posted about deciding to leave. My advice is that no one in an online forum will be able to know the specifics of what’s going on in chambers because of confidentiality etc. What I can tell you is that there’s life after leaving and firms will consider you. I would suggest finding some mentors/friends, telling them the full details of what’s going on and getting their take.

Also, anecdata, but new judges in particular can be bad environments because they are so stressed about keeping their heads above water and don’t have experience. I’m sorry you’re in a crappy situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:12 pm

Yeah clerking for a new trial judge is always a more intense experience—they don’t have tons of templates, are dealing with cases, procedures, and areas of law they’re unfamiliar with, they often get dumped with other judges’ worst cases, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:12 pm
Yeah clerking for a new trial judge is always a more intense experience—they don’t have tons of templates, are dealing with cases, procedures, and areas of law they’re unfamiliar with, they often get dumped with other judges’ worst cases, etc.
Wish my new trial judge could read this comment. No Judge, we are not turning around cases as quickly as the 15-year-veteran in the chambers next door, and that's because unlike him, we don't have 15 years of work product to copy-and-paste in, not because we're slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 am

Just posting to share my story as well. I don't regret clerking per se, but I do think I'd not apply to my judge/court again knowing everything I do now. They are a very good judge, but they can be difficult to work with at times. I can take direct criticism, but I have gotten rude comments before as well as an overall a sense of judge being exasperated with me, especially when I started and, of course, knew nothing. Not constant, but my judge is definitely mercurial and can be less than nice when in a bad mood due to personal issues. Also, they are very distant/cold at times. I have barely spoken with judge about non-work things. Perhaps a total of 20-30 minutes of small talk in many months of clerking.

It's definitely been a mix of things making my clerkship year unpleasant and not just the judge. I actually do generally like and respect my Judge despire their poor management skills and lack of patience at times. I don't particularly love the city, I am pretty lonely (moved away from my home where I was practicing and lived before school, came with no SO and don't know anyone in this town), and to be honest I find a lot of the work boring--a lot of state law BS that I have no interest in andis poorly briefed. I'm nearly halfway through but I don't let myself count the days since that just depresses me. I'm getting through it though and so will anyone else reading this unhappy in your clerkship. Also, I am learning a lot, becoming a much better writer, and my judge is well regarded so it's a good resume line. I think it'll be worth it in the end despite all the negatives.

Note: not advising anyone to stick it out in a truly toxic/abusive situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 am
Just posting to share my story as well. I don't regret clerking per se, but I do think I'd not apply to my judge/court again knowing everything I do now. They are a very good judge, but they can be difficult to work with at times. I can take direct criticism, but I have gotten rude comments before as well as an overall a sense of judge being exasperated with me, especially when I started and, of course, knew nothing. Not constant, but my judge is definitely mercurial and can be less than nice when in a bad mood due to personal issues. Also, they are very distant/cold at times. I have barely spoken with judge about non-work things. Perhaps a total of 20-30 minutes of small talk in many months of clerking.

It's definitely been a mix of things making my clerkship year unpleasant and not just the judge. I actually do generally like and respect my Judge despire their poor management skills and lack of patience at times. I don't particularly love the city, I am pretty lonely (moved away from my home where I was practicing and lived before school, came with no SO and don't know anyone in this town), and to be honest I find a lot of the work boring--a lot of state law BS that I have no interest in andis poorly briefed. I'm nearly halfway through but I don't let myself count the days since that just depresses me. I'm getting through it though and so will anyone else reading this unhappy in your clerkship. Also, I am learning a lot, becoming a much better writer, and my judge is well regarded so it's a good resume line. I think it'll be worth it in the end despite all the negatives.

Note: not advising anyone to stick it out in a truly toxic/abusive situation.
Older lawyer here who has been in charge of many interns over the years. I just wanted to vent about this topic and express sympathy to every young law student or law grad who deals with this. I am really sick and tired of witnessing colleagues my age, including judges, who have behavioral problems. That is indeed what I consider this to be. If you are snapping at an intern, or even milder than that: just being more abrupt than you need to be, more blunt than you need to be, and not being patient with corrections or edits, you have a behavior problem and are a grade A jerk in my eyes.

Yes, law is a deadline-obsessed career that generates a lot of daily stress. No, that is not an excuse to forget how to have manners. For all the lecturing our generation (and older) likes to deliver to millenials, Gen Zers etc., I am amazed at how many people our age seem to act like their parents raised them without teaching any basic manners or civility. For some reason, we claim to be very civilized, but there seems to be a major exception we think is carved out for how to speak to young people. What the fuck, assholes. Cut it out. [/end preaching to choir]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:34 am

Nothing to add to the above except here here!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:34 am
It's "hear," just fyi.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:34 am
It's "hear," just fyi.
Where did you here that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:25 pm

If anyone ever stumbles on this thread again, I wanted to post another update. I’m the poster who decided to quit their clerkship.

Here to say the decision to leave was 10,000% the right one. Literally every I think about how much happier I am doing a job I really love with truly excellent coworkers. But I am realizing how much the clerkship messed me up even though it was only a few months (i.e. being terrified to email my boss who has never been anything but kind about minor things, and playing 3-d chess in my head about every interaction.) If I regret anything, it’s how long I stayed in the clerkship, and that I didn’t have the confidence and self-respect to get out sooner. I hope I never make that mistake again.

At this point, I don’t know that I would ever recommend someone clerk. The friends of mine who had good experiences are far outnumbered by the friends with bad ones. I also think there are very few jobs that you can truly *only* get by clerking. For almost all jobs, even the unicorn ones (which I would consider my current job to be) there are ways to prove your mettle that don’t require months away from your support system and risking emotional abuse. Clerking is often the path of least resistance for a group of people who love gold stars, and law schools push it because it props up their rankings, but there are so many other better choices. To quote crazy ex-girlfriend “it’d be great to be on the supreme court, but you’ll never be on the supreme court…”

(If you absolutely must clerk, I think state supreme courts are MUCH more pleasant.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 am

It seems that you had a highly unusual experience—most clerks don’t essentially get put on a PIP by their judge—but regardless my anecdotal experience is the exact opposite. Almost everyone enjoys clerking unless it’s for a bad boss.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 am
It seems that you had a highly unusual experience—most clerks don’t essentially get put on a PIP by their judge—but regardless my anecdotal experience is the exact opposite. Almost everyone enjoys clerking unless it’s for a bad boss.
I think the ex-clerk’s point is in part that there are LOTS of bad bosses, though. And some people just don’t like the nature of the work even if they have a good boss, though having a good boss always helps.

I do think the ex-clerk raises two very separate issues - moving alone somewhere you know no one for a year, and emotional abuse. The former is sort of a clerk problem, because some people will enjoy going somewhere random for a year even if they don’t know anyone there, some people really won’t, and a person who wants to clerk needs to be able to figure out which one they are. Then there’s the issue of working for a terrible boss, which is a judge problem rather than a clerk problem.

In practice these things are related; it’s harder to put up with a terrible boss when you feel alone and unsupported (I feel most unhappy clerks who post have moved somewhere random although this is just my gut feeling not a scientific fact). I also think it can be harder to do good work if you’re utterly miserable. Conversely, it’s easier to put up with living somewhere random without a community if your judge is awesome. And how you feel about the work is another layer on top of that, which is sometimes a function of how the judge works and sometimes a function of the clerk’s own preferences.

This goes back to the practice of pushing clerking on everyone. In terms of personal happiness, some people should probably never move far away from their community/support system/real life. The resume line may still be worth it for some people, but that’s a personal judgment call. The bad boss part is usually a crapshoot that’s hard to predict, in part because it’s hard to get the necessary information, and in part because one person’s intolerable boss can be another person’s “meh but tolerable” or even perfectly fine boss (though there are also plenty of objectively bad bosses with whom everyone is miserable).

(I think also that clerking can be tougher for a K-JD in that clerking is weird and probably easier to handle if you have broader experience working full time as an adult in a professional job than just your 2L summer. Not at all saying only or all K-JDs are unhappy clerking, just that I think it’s another factor in the mix.)

Some of this may sound like clerk blaming and I don’t mean it that way. It’s just that with regard to clerking being this great job, some people hate it due to what they personally need to be happy, some people hate it because their judges are objectively awful, and some people get screwed on both of those things. Potential clerks need to both think hard about what they need to be happy and what they can put up with for a year, and try to find out as much as they can about judges. But it’s unfortunately true that because it’s this weird situation of working for one person alone, sometimes a judge is terrible for everyone, and sometimes a pairing of clerk and judge just doesn’t work because they’re a bad match in a way that isn’t really anyone’s fault, and either way the situation is miserable.

Tl;dr - there are definitely a lot of ways that clerking can go wrong/be miserable, which are important to acknowledge so people can really figure out if the job is worth it to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:16 am
I think the ex-clerk’s point is in part that there are LOTS of bad bosses, though. And some people just don’t like the nature of the work even if they have a good boss, though having a good boss always helps.

I do think the ex-clerk raises two very separate issues - moving alone somewhere you know no one for a year, and emotional abuse. The former is sort of a clerk problem, because some people will enjoy going somewhere random for a year even if they don’t know anyone there, some people really won’t, and a person who wants to clerk needs to be able to figure out which one they are. Then there’s the issue of working for a terrible boss, which is a judge problem rather than a clerk problem.

In practice these things are related; it’s harder to put up with a terrible boss when you feel alone and unsupported (I feel most unhappy clerks who post have moved somewhere random although this is just my gut feeling not a scientific fact). I also think it can be harder to do good work if you’re utterly miserable. Conversely, it’s easier to put up with living somewhere random without a community if your judge is awesome. And how you feel about the work is another layer on top of that, which is sometimes a function of how the judge works and sometimes a function of the clerk’s own preferences.

This goes back to the practice of pushing clerking on everyone. In terms of personal happiness, some people should probably never move far away from their community/support system/real life. The resume line may still be worth it for some people, but that’s a personal judgment call. The bad boss part is usually a crapshoot that’s hard to predict, in part because it’s hard to get the necessary information, and in part because one person’s intolerable boss can be another person’s “meh but tolerable” or even perfectly fine boss (though there are also plenty of objectively bad bosses with whom everyone is miserable).

(I think also that clerking can be tougher for a K-JD in that clerking is weird and probably easier to handle if you have broader experience working full time as an adult in a professional job than just your 2L summer. Not at all saying only or all K-JDs are unhappy clerking, just that I think it’s another factor in the mix.)

Some of this may sound like clerk blaming and I don’t mean it that way. It’s just that with regard to clerking being this great job, some people hate it due to what they personally need to be happy, some people hate it because their judges are objectively awful, and some people get screwed on both of those things. Potential clerks need to both think hard about what they need to be happy and what they can put up with for a year, and try to find out as much as they can about judges. But it’s unfortunately true that because it’s this weird situation of working for one person alone, sometimes a judge is terrible for everyone, and sometimes a pairing of clerk and judge just doesn’t work because they’re a bad match in a way that isn’t really anyone’s fault, and either way the situation is miserable.

Tl;dr - there are definitely a lot of ways that clerking can go wrong/be miserable, which are important to acknowledge so people can really figure out if the job is worth it to them.
Don’t want to minimize the ex-clerk’s experience either because that person’s situation sounded uniquely terrible, but I think the K-JD point is often very true. Many of them simply have no idea what it’s like to work a real job. I worked for a supposedly tough judge and I was treated so much better than when I worked for a major corporation. I understand that clerking is a special job and the expectations are higher, but K-JDs don’t realize that almost no one gives a shit about you in the actual workforce. You are lucky if you find a real mentor or two, but you should not expect much from partners or your bosses. My judge wasn’t warm and fuzzy but at least I wasn’t belittled in meetings or asked to do endless menial work for no reason. And the judge was still happy to put in a good word if anyone ever asked. I think a lot are like this and it’s really not a bad gig at all for the resume line. Clerking still is huge for many government jobs. It’s obviously not literally required but in practice it is close to it for several positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am

Yeah, like is it theoretically possible to eventually end up in a major USAO, trial boutique, or appeals group without a clerkship? Yeah. With the right connections and experience anything is possible. Is it likely? No. The people hiring for these positions all clerked and will view “I didn’t want to clerk because I wanted money/was afraid of judges/think litigation is repetitive” as a feeble excuse, if not a separate red flag.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 am
Yeah, like is it theoretically possible to eventually end up in a major USAO, trial boutique, or appeals group without a clerkship? Yeah. With the right connections and experience anything is possible. Is it likely? No. The people hiring for these positions all clerked and will view “I didn’t want to clerk because I wanted money/was afraid of judges/think litigation is repetitive” as a feeble excuse, if not a separate red flag.
Wrong answer. It sounds like you're thinking extremely short term. Beyond a five-year time span, none of the factors mentioned here matter at all. I did not clerk for a judge and am a senior AUSA. Some of my colleagues at my level are former clerks and some are not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”