Roberts hiring? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Roberts hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:33 am

Asking here might really be futile, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Justice Roberts's hiring criteria. What does he look for? What professors at HYS is he particularly close to? How does he hire in terms of ideology (will he hiring more than center-left liberals?) Thanks so much for any information you can provide.

Anonymous User

Re: Roberts hiring?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:33 am
Asking here might really be futile, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Justice Roberts's hiring criteria. What does he look for? What professors at HYS is he particularly close to? How does he hire in terms of ideology (will he hiring more than center-left liberals?) Thanks so much for any information you can provide.
His criteria is pretty well known. Summa level grades at a minimum from HY(C) (he doesn't actually hire that much from Stanford) along with feeder clerkships. He hires pretty equally from the right and the left since all he cares about is raw intellectual power.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am

From what I understand, he is highly, and I mean highly, grade-conscious. He also hires liberals (I believe he used to do a 2 liberal 2 conservative split, but I am unsure if he still does that).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:44 am

When you say highly grade-conscious, is it safe to say that someone without straight Hs is out at Y?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:44 am
When you say highly grade-conscious, is it safe to say that someone without straight Hs is out at Y?
I'm sure in his 16 years on the bench he's probably hired someone without straight Hs. But yes, I would imagine your chances are not too high.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:36 pm

In addition to what others have mentioned he likes veterans, district court clerks, and law review eboard. I would not feel confident without at least one Sears Prize.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 am

Yeah Roberts might be like the most vanilla of all them in his hiring preferences. Everything you think a judge would look for in hiring he wants but on steroids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:11 pm

One thing I think is cool about this website is that there are users on here who actually plausibly seem to have information about the hiring practices of the chief justice of SCOTUS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:11 pm
One thing I think is cool about this website is that there are users on here who actually plausibly seem to have information about the hiring practices of the chief justice of SCOTUS
Even if there is no one on this particular thread who has been a candidate for a SCOTUS clerkship (and there are absolutely former SCOTUS clerks and applicants who have contributed on this forum), lots of people who have clerked at the CoA level have friends/classmates/coworkers who were in the SCOTUS pool and have passed this knowledge along. I never applied to SCOTUS but feel pretty well versed in how a majority of the Justices hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Even if there is no one on this particular thread who has been a candidate for a SCOTUS clerkship (and there are absolutely former SCOTUS clerks and applicants who have contributed on this forum), lots of people who have clerked at the CoA level have friends/classmates/coworkers who were in the SCOTUS pool and have passed this knowledge along. I never applied to SCOTUS but feel pretty well versed in how a majority of the Justices hire.
I think OP was being genuine and not sarcastic in their posting.

Laserguy213

New

Post by Laserguy213 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Professor Lazarus and CJ Roberts were either college or law school roommates. I forget, but the two are tight. While I do not know how much clout Laz has as far as Roberts goes, I do know that he goes to bat for students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 pm

Laserguy213 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:32 pm
Professor Lazarus and CJ Roberts were either college or law school roommates. I forget, but the two are tight. While I do not know how much clout Laz has as far as Roberts goes, I do know that he goes to bat for students.
Well, he goes to bat for those of his students who DS his class during 1L, RA for him, take his enviro class, usually are on HLR, and otherwise impress the hell out of him. And it makes sense. He carries a lot of weight with SCOTUS hiring and with Roberts in particular, so yeah. But it's not just any student who chooses to take a class with him (and the gunners at HLS all know this, so competition is stiff to impress him from the jump).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 pm
Laserguy213 wrote:
Well, he goes to bat for those of his students who DS his class during 1L, RA for him, take his enviro class, usually are on HLR, and otherwise impress the hell out of him. And it makes sense. He carries a lot of weight with SCOTUS hiring and with Roberts in particular, so yeah. But it's not just any student who chooses to take a class with him (and the gunners at HLS all know this, so competition is stiff to impress him from the jump).
I know for certain that DSing and RAing for him are certainly not necessary. He's an unfailingly nice person/prof and definitely still helps students that aren't crushing every single aspect of law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barre777

New

Post by barre777 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Any TLS insiders know who leaked Dobbs?

barre777

New

Post by barre777 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:12 pm

Don't say who leaked Dobbs, just confirm that you know who did it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a former SCOTUS clerk (one of several who post on here from time to time). TLS helped us when we were coming up; it's good being able to give back. If folks would find a thread on justices' hiring paradigms helpful, perhaps we could put one together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a former SCOTUS clerk (one of several who post on here from time to time). TLS helped us when we were coming up; it's good being able to give back. If folks would find a thread on justices' hiring paradigms helpful, perhaps we could put one together.
That would be amazing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:56 pm
Laserguy213 wrote:
I know for certain that DSing and RAing for him are certainly not necessary. He's an unfailingly nice person/prof and definitely still helps students that aren't crushing every single aspect of law school.

Are you not able to see the difference here? *obviously* the post about "going to bat" was about personalized SCOTUS recs (and especially with his buddy JGR), not just "helping them" more generally, or even more generally with clerkships recs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That would be amazing
o

Seconding this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”