Black Eye and Interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Black Eye and Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:45 pm

I have a zoom interview with a judge and clerks in a few days I fell in the shower and now have like bruises over my face and a black eye. Went to the doctor/hospital and I'm fine, but I'm wondering how tf I deal with this in an interview. Do I just open in the interview and say something, like sorry about my face I fell in the shower. It is one of those rotating interviews so everytime someone enters the zoom do I just explain what is going on. It's the type of thing that looks really bad but is actually fine.

Anonymous User

Re: Black Eye and Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:45 pm
I have a zoom interview with a judge and clerks in a few days I fell in the shower and now have like bruises over my face and a black eye. Went to the doctor/hospital and I'm fine, but I'm wondering how tf I deal with this in an interview. Do I just open in the interview and say something, like sorry about my face I fell in the shower. It is one of those rotating interviews so everytime someone enters the zoom do I just explain what is going on. It's the type of thing that looks really bad but is actually fine.
I'd address it, but make a joke of it. It's almost a funny ice-breaker. "I wish I had a better story than slipping on the floor of my bathroom, but here we are! Looks worse than it is."

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:45 pm
I mean obviously give a different story to all of them and let hijinks ensue. Maybe give the Judicial Assistant the real story and have her tell them all a few hours after your interview closes. Just off the top of my head you can go: neighbor's kid hit you with a slinghot, a bird flew into your face when you were walking out of a door, champagne cork in the eye, door knob in the face while you were sitting down to examine a rare bug, Isaac Newton story, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:36 pm

Oh shit I also just realized that I'm a girl and the fell in the shower excuse is like the cliche thing victims of domestic abuse say in movies, and now I am extra worried that this may leave a weird impression.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:36 pm
Oh shit I also just realized that I'm a girl and the fell in the shower excuse is like the cliche thing victims of domestic abuse say in movies, and now I am extra worried that this may leave a weird impression.
NGL, I did immediately think of this. But if it's what happened, it's what happened. I think if you're cheerful/matter-of-fact enough about it, it should be fine?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

username7283012341

New

Post by username7283012341 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 pm

Can you hide it with makeup + Zoom's "touch up my appearance" feature?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 am

username7283012341 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 pm
It's bad, bad—like dark purple. If I do makeup and Zoom touch up I end up looking like one of those Victorian people whose face is basically just powder. I feel like the best option is to tone it down with makeup, but even then it is obvious there is something there.

kolio6

New

Post by kolio6 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 am
It's bad, bad—like dark purple. If I do makeup and Zoom touch up I end up looking like one of those Victorian people whose face is basically just powder. I feel like the best option is to tone it down with makeup, but even then it is obvious there is something there.
I laughed pretty hard reading this, so I think with your sense of humor and wit, you'll do just fine! Making a joke out of it and being upfront should do the trick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:19 am

kolio6 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 am
I laughed pretty hard reading this, so I think with your sense of humor and wit, you'll do just fine! Making a joke out of it and being upfront should do the trick.
My SO was in this situation earlier this year (interviews, though not with a judge). In addition to the makeup, she used some big frame glasses and had her hair lay over her temple so it obscured the bruises. Wasn't magic, but it made a big difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”