Mid-Career Clerkship LOR Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Mid-Career Clerkship LOR

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm a current first year looking to apply for a Dist. Ct. clerkship after two or three years of practice. I have lined up three letters of rec from law school professors, but I am wondering if one (or more) needs to be from a partner at my firm (i.e., so the Judge can hear from practicing lawyers about my writing, research, etc.). Assuming I clerk, I'm not sure if after I'd return to my current firm, so I'm hesitant on asking a partner for a LOR. Any advice on how to navigate this situation would be great. Thanks :)

Anonymous User

Re: Mid-Career Clerkship LOR

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:11 pm

If you already have three letters from law school professors, then don't bother with a law firm partner unless you think the law firm partner will write an exceptionally strong one.

Anonymous User

Re: Mid-Career Clerkship LOR

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:11 pm
If you already have three letters from law school professors, then don't bother with a law firm partner unless you think the law firm partner will write an exceptionally strong one.
Agreed with this, and would only add another instance would be if a partner who would/could write for you knows a given judge (or would call up the judge).

(Also I know this is terrible nit-picking but clerking as a mid-level associate is not the same as clerking mid-career, unless you expect your career to last only 6 years or so.)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”