How many applications should I be submitting? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How many applications should I be submitting?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm

Hello-- I'm a first year biglaw associate, graduated from mid-T14, grades just above median. Non law review journal, moot court. I'm looking to clerk at the district level. How many applications should I be submitting? I'm interested in anywhere I have a friend or two, including W.Ky., M.D.N.C., D.N.J, E.D.N.Y., W.A.W. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: How many applications should I be submitting?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Apply to any and all clerkships that you would conceivably take. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to have approximately 100 applications to judges across the country. If and when you get interviews, then you can decide whether to accept or decline the interview. But for the initial application phase I would apply very broadly and often with little to no selectivity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Thanks!

jdoeman1234567

New

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm
Hello-- I'm a first year biglaw associate, graduated from mid-T14, grades just above median. Non law review journal, moot court. I'm looking to clerk at the district level. How many applications should I be submitting? I'm interested in anywhere I have a friend or two, including W.Ky., M.D.N.C., D.N.J, E.D.N.Y., W.A.W. Thanks!

I'd apply to several more districts than what you listed above. D.N.J and E.D.N.Y. are both very competitive. And I think people underestimate how much many district judges outside of major metropolitan areas value local connections. If you are from any of W.Ky., M.D.N.C., or W.A.W. I think you will be a pretty strong candidate in that district.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:05 pm

jdoeman1234567 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm

I'd apply to several more districts than what you listed above. D.N.J and E.D.N.Y. are both very competitive. And I think people underestimate how much many district judges outside of major metropolitan areas value local connections. If you are from any of W.Ky., M.D.N.C., or W.A.W. I think you will be a pretty strong candidate in that district.
I'd extend that to any in your home state or state you're going to practice in. So E.D.Ky., W.D.N.C, E.D.N.C., and E. Wash. should be on the table too if you're tied to on of those states.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:35 pm

Hundreds of applications is a safe number. For context, I sent out over 150 (twice!) to secure three COA interviews (slightly lower ranked school, but better class-rank and journal). With how competitive clerkships are, it seems increasingly hard to be geographically selective.

I would also not worry too much about judges wanting local ties. Some judges will certainly value them and will care that you enjoy your time clerking, but the worst that can happen is you apply and get rejected. Unless you have a clerkship office that can tell you categorically "Judge X won't look at you because you aren't from Y state," I would throw in an application. I got an offer from a judge in a flyover state that conventional wisdom would've said I needed local ties to secure (I had never even set foot in their state). Just my $0.02.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 pm

Got it, thank you! I’ll apply as broadly as I can then. Just feeling discouraged since I have sent 20 with no reply but I guess I need to send a whole lot more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 pm
Got it, thank you! I’ll apply as broadly as I can then. Just feeling discouraged since I have sent 20 with no reply but I guess I need to send a whole lot more.
I hear ya. It is definitely disheartening. But you'll feel great once you start getting some bites. Don't be too discouraged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
20 is not even close to enough. Like everyone says above, you'll want to emphasize any local ties you have. If you don't have any local ties other than a friend living in the area, you'll just have to spam apply to any judge you would even consider working for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 am

Agreed 20 is not close enough. I'd send more than 100 apps in your position. Send an app to anyone whose offer you would accept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
You should not be discouraged. Twenty is a very small number for anyone. I had stats that theoretically made me at least competitive on paper in pretty much every district. I applied pretty narrowly to a few relatively competitive districts (not SDNY, EDNY or DDC). I probably sent approximately 25 apps and I only ended up getting one district court interview. But I applied more broadly to COA spots and ended up with a COA clerkship. The process is very random.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
You should not be discouraged. Twenty is a very small number for anyone. I had stats that theoretically made me at least competitive on paper in pretty much every district. I applied pretty narrowly to a few relatively competitive districts (not SDNY, EDNY or DDC). I probably sent approximately 25 apps and I only ended up getting one district court interview. But I applied more broadly to COA spots and ended up with a COA clerkship. The process is very random.
As one random data point I was top 5% and FedSoc at a mid-T14 and sent about 60 COA applications to non-feeders, mostly to 2/9 and "interesting" cities in flyover states. That led to 4 interviews, 2 of which came many months after I submitted the applications.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”