Paternity Leave on 2-Year Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Paternity Leave on 2-Year Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:47 pm

Does anyone have experience with taking paternity leave on a 2-year clerkship? Trying to find out what the standard amount of leave is, I've heard 2 weeks is normal from others but would like to figure out a way to take 2 weeks of leave and WFH for some time (maybe like a month) afterwards. Guess I just want to ask what others did and how they broached the topic with their judge.

I'm fully aware that the answer to every clerkship-related question is "depends on your judge" I am simply asking for the experiences others have had, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Paternity Leave on 2-Year Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:47 pm
Does anyone have experience with taking paternity leave on a 2-year clerkship? Trying to find out what the standard amount of leave is, I've heard 2 weeks is normal from others but would like to figure out a way to take 2 weeks of leave and WFH for some time (maybe like a month) afterwards. Guess I just want to ask what others did and how they broached the topic with their judge.

I'm fully aware that the answer to every clerkship-related question is "depends on your judge" I am simply asking for the experiences others have had, thanks!
CoA or district court? If district court, you should probably advise your judge well in advance because it is unlikely that two weeks will go by without you having some sort of hearing or reason to be in person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:

CoA or district court? If district court, you should probably advise your judge well in advance because it is unlikely that two weeks will go by without you having some sort of hearing or reason to be in person.
District court, and thanks for the input. Planning on telling my judge as soon as we're in the second trimester but maybe instead of a month of WFH it would be better to suggest that I'll WFH for a month but be willing to come in as needed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Anecdotally, I WFH in district court and only needed to appear IRL three or four times in a year. So, ya know. Depends!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”