District Court Clerkship after Appellate Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

District Court Clerkship after Appellate Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:03 am

Is it worth it to do a district court clerkship after an appellate clerkship? I intend to return to my V10, work in Biglaw for 4-5 years, and then exit to government. I mainly don't want to clerk twice because of the financial loss, but is this shortsighted? How much do you actually learn from a district court clerkship that you do not learn from an appellate clerkship?

Anonymous User

Re: District Court Clerkship after Appellate Clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:28 am

I did a district court clerkship after an appellate. I learned more about writing and analysis from the appellate clerkship (also standard of review), and I learned a lot more about the nuts and bolts of trial in the district court clerkship. (Some of this was due to the differences between the two judges - I know people on the same appellate court who learned less about writing and analysis because their judges were less interested in mentoring than mine, though they still learned a lot just by doing the work.)

If by government you mean AUSA, I think a district court clerkship is more directly helpful. Most AUSAs I know who did an appellate clerkship also did district, or got hired into an appellate position (which is great but it limits your opportunities, I think). But I do know a couple of line attorneys who only did COA, and this is the kind of thing that can vary by office/USA priority anyway. So I think you have to weigh your own personal priorities (some people will be unhappy unless they accumulate every possible gold star to get them to the next position, some people have other priorities. Your financial concerns are perfectly reasonable).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 am

I did district after court of appeals. It was absolutely worth it. You learn a whole other set of skills and are exposed to a totally different aspect of the federal judiciary. The only reason you shouldn't do it is if you need the biglaw money for that one year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 pm

Are you a post-grad/working in big law yet? I would get some job experience before deciding if you want to commit to a second clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm

District court clerkships are very different from appellate clerkships if that’s your question. They’re really not even the same job. But whether it’s worth it for you is a personal question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 pm
Are you a post-grad/working in big law yet? I would get some job experience before deciding if you want to commit to a second clerkship.
No, I will be clerking right out of school. What is the benefit of working before the second clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If OP waited two cycles before applying to major districts, they likely would be looking at clerking in 2026 or 2027 unless they could grab a spot with a new appointee. People do it but there’s a downside.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:36 am

Don’t do them back to back if you’re concerned about the financial hit.

Clerk —> firm —> Clerk —> GOV

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
No, I will be clerking right out of school. What is the benefit of working before the second clerkship?
To make sure you really want to. Clerkships teach you a lot, but perhaps their best value is their reputation-boost. You're going to get that reputation-boost from a CoA clerkship, and might find that one year of clerking is enough for you. Basically, you're committing to two years of clerkships (and the monetary sacrifice) without knowing what clerking will be like. That's a gamble I definitely would not make. After your CoA clerkship, you'll be well positioned to get a district court clerkship, so I would not rush if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 pm

I just graduated and am doing a COA and then a district court clerkship in a competitive circuit (ddc, sdny) back to back. I think back to back is better than the gap because you 1) don’t have any lifestyle creep from your big law stint and 2) have more continuity in your career. Most top students do multiple clerkships nowadays, in my experience. The only reason not to is if you know you want to be a big law litigation partner, are only clerking for the credential, AND need the money from the extra year as a big law associate. I think unless all three are true for you, it makes sense to pursue a district court clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 pm

Double post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:34 pm
I just graduated and am doing a COA and then a district court clerkship in a competitive circuit (ddc, sdny) back to back. I think back to back is better than the gap because you 1) don’t have any lifestyle creep from your big law stint and 2) have more continuity in your career. Most top students do multiple clerkships nowadays, in my experience. The only reason not to is if you know you want to be a big law litigation partner, are only clerking for the credential, AND need the money from the extra year as a big law associate. I think unless all three are true for you, it makes sense to pursue a district court clerkship.
I want to gently and politely expand on the bolded text. You should clerk at a district court instead of spending your post-CoA year in big law if you think that the learning experience a d ct clerkship offers will be worth the roughly $150K that your decision will cost you. Law students have imperfect and incomplete information about what clerking will be like, let alone two years of it, and so I think it is bold to make such a commitment prior to graduating law school and/or starting a clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I want to gently and politely expand on the bolded text. You should clerk at a district court instead of spending your post-CoA year in big law if you think that the learning experience a d ct clerkship offers will be worth the roughly $150K that your decision will cost you. Law students have imperfect and incomplete information about what clerking will be like, let alone two years of it, and so I think it is bold to make such a commitment prior to graduating law school and/or starting a clerkship.
This. A few years of biglaw taught me that a second clerkship, was, indeed worth accepting a large salary drop (especially assuming, knock on wood, the clerkship can get me to a place where I never have to think about biglaw again). But I was not ready to convince myself to give up that much money straight out of law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Nothing wrong with COA, firm for 1/2 years, then District. Caveat though if you want to make partner at your firm which in that case I'd honestly just do Circuit then enter as a second year and then just work there until Partner/Counsel/they kick you out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean it might be bold, but it’s also now the norm in elite lit circles, for better or for worse. Also circuit courts aren’t much like district courts so a circuit court clerkship will not necessarily put you in a better position.

Anecdotally, I know very few people who regret clerking on a trial court unless they got a terrible judge, which is largely an avoidable risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think this sort of implicates two different issues. First, either a person doesn’t know themselves and their work preferences enough yet to know how they will handle two years of clerking. They don’t know themselves well enough to realize that the close quarters/semi isolation, lack of variety in the work and the fact that it’s all research and writing, and responsibility of clerking will make them miserable even for a year, let alone two (though I think district court and circuit court are different enough that you could dislike one and like the other). Or conversely they will find it unacceptably frustrating to be “on the sidelines” so to speak, rather than doing the work themselves. Or they want more autonomy rather than being subject to the judge’s decisions. Or they’re tired of chasing brass rings and want just to establish their career already. I think those are some of the main reasons why people don’t like clerking, but I also think they are things that many people *are* able to self-assess for.

The second issue is the possibility of getting a crappy judge and having a miserable experience. There are steps someone can take to try to avoid this, but sometimes it’s entirely out of your control, which sucks. I don’t think this is a reason to avoid clerking, though, as much as to be really careful about picking a judge.

With respect to the first issue, I think people need to think seriously about what they do/don’t like in a job, and not forge ahead with clerking just because it seems like the required brass ring. But I also think, as someone with work experience before law school, that it’s not quite as mysterious as the quoted post suggests. And as someone who was probably older than the average grad, a year or even two of work you don’t like that much isn’t always a bad trade off for what you can get out of the experience. I’m not saying be miserable; no one needs to suffer. But a couple of years of clerking isn’t really that big a deal in the course of an entire career.

(Full disclosure: I clerked for two years and it was a great experience for me, so that’s obviously my bias. There was still a big learning curve - I think that’s kind of unavoidable - but I don’t feel like clerking was this thing I didn’t know enough about before I started that there was no way to know how I was going to like it or whether I’d want to spend 2 years on it.)

All that said - I may be waxing overly philosophical and it’s not that deep but much more about the money you’re passing up. That’s fair, that’s a personal decision. I knew I wasn’t going to biglaw after, and made more in my second clerkship than I’d ever made before going to law school, so for me that was never an issue. But it’s totally fair if that is an issue for others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:50 pm

Value of district court after appellate also depends on the firm you're going to, IMO. If you're going to be a massively levered firm doing investigations etc on a team with 20 associates, you'll probably learn a lot more at the district level and that might be totally worth the $$$ you'll lose, and year credit you'll get.

if you're going to be on a 3-4 person case teams doing substantive legal writing as a second year, think I'd rather just go to the firm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 am
I think this sort of implicates two different issues. First, either a person doesn’t know themselves and their work preferences enough yet to know how they will handle two years of clerking. They don’t know themselves well enough to realize that the close quarters/semi isolation, lack of variety in the work and the fact that it’s all research and writing, and responsibility of clerking will make them miserable even for a year, let alone two (though I think district court and circuit court are different enough that you could dislike one and like the other). Or conversely they will find it unacceptably frustrating to be “on the sidelines” so to speak, rather than doing the work themselves. Or they want more autonomy rather than being subject to the judge’s decisions. Or they’re tired of chasing brass rings and want just to establish their career already. I think those are some of the main reasons why people don’t like clerking, but I also think they are things that many people *are* able to self-assess for.

The second issue is the possibility of getting a crappy judge and having a miserable experience. There are steps someone can take to try to avoid this, but sometimes it’s entirely out of your control, which sucks. I don’t think this is a reason to avoid clerking, though, as much as to be really careful about picking a judge.

With respect to the first issue, I think people need to think seriously about what they do/don’t like in a job, and not forge ahead with clerking just because it seems like the required brass ring. But I also think, as someone with work experience before law school, that it’s not quite as mysterious as the quoted post suggests. And as someone who was probably older than the average grad, a year or even two of work you don’t like that much isn’t always a bad trade off for what you can get out of the experience. I’m not saying be miserable; no one needs to suffer. But a couple of years of clerking isn’t really that big a deal in the course of an entire career.

(Full disclosure: I clerked for two years and it was a great experience for me, so that’s obviously my bias. There was still a big learning curve - I think that’s kind of unavoidable - but I don’t feel like clerking was this thing I didn’t know enough about before I started that there was no way to know how I was going to like it or whether I’d want to spend 2 years on it.)

All that said - I may be waxing overly philosophical and it’s not that deep but much more about the money you’re passing up. That’s fair, that’s a personal decision. I knew I wasn’t going to biglaw after, and made more in my second clerkship than I’d ever made before going to law school, so for me that was never an issue. But it’s totally fair if that is an issue for others.
I am the poster you are replying to and I want to say that your post is excellent and well worth reading for anyone making this decision. A lot of what you said with respect to the first issue resonates with me, though I disagree that I could have anticipated a lot of it for two reasons. First, I think some might know that clerking is or isn't for them ahead of time, but experience will be the real teacher. (I acknowledge your point that I may not have "known myself" well enough to make this decision as a law student, but I think I had fairly incomplete information as many law students will). More importantly, chambers vary markedly in the culture with respect to a lot of the points you mention (isolation, autonomy), and there are enough barriers to acquiring chambers-specific information prior to applying that make "figure it out ahead of time" fairly unrealistic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean it might be bold, but it’s also now the norm in elite lit circles, for better or for worse. Also circuit courts aren’t much like district courts so a circuit court clerkship will not necessarily put you in a better position.

Anecdotally, I know very few people who regret clerking on a trial court unless they got a terrible judge, which is largely an avoidable risk.
I don’t dispute that the two clerkships is the norm in the elite lit circles these days, but I think that has more to do with scotus hiring tending towards 2+ clerkship folks than anything else. I don’t think there are many other things (except a heavy trial focused job like a line ausa, as mentioned above) where anyone will really care too much about the district. That doesn’t say you shouldn’t do it if you like clerking and would like to learn the very valuable stuff you get from a district. But I think it’s also getting too caught up in the moment of multiple clerkship scotus aspirants to say that only a circuit court doesn’t put you in an equivalent position for 95%+ of competitive jobs.

And on the point about not regretting multiple clerkships, I do know plenty of people (myself included) who regret it. One year is fun, two years—especially the second at the district court pace—is pretty exhausting and financially draining. Unless you have a very clear sense of why you want to do the district, I would be somewhat wary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bolded something that stood out to me while lurking. I hope this isn't too philosophical for an anonymous forum, but it's been killing me for months and maybe it keeps the discussion going... How the heck do I know when to stop chasing the brass rings?

I'm first-gen and don't go to a T14, but I connected with many excellent professors, did lit boutique 1L summer (hated their vibe - not returning), law review exec board, random V20 lit 2L summer (loved the vibe and city despite it not being my most "intentional" decision in life), and now have my CoA clerkship lined up after being encouraged to apply by my school. For personal reasons, part of me feels compelled to keep climbing the proverbial ladder as much as possible. In turn, that makes me question my decision to go back to my 2L firm and whether I should be chasing brass rings like the prestige of D.C. lit/more prestigious firm, or district court clerkship in a more prestigious city. I ask my professors and get different answers from each (one says go back to my 2L firm, one says I should teach, one says go for bougie D.C. firms).

Am I naive to think the rat race ever ends? I told myself I'd give up chasing prestige once I blanked on the T14. I also thought I was done once I got my 1L grades, but next was the pressure to maintain them 2L, but also do exec board, but also take black-letter classes, but also apply to clerkships, etc. While I totally acknowledge my good fortune, it's just a lot to deal with and I have no idea when it's "worth it." I'm basically just doing what the collective legal hive-mind of law professors and internet forums tell me to do.

I also have a few years pre-law school experience and even the clerkship money is more than I ever earned. The big law money is in another universe for me or my family. So I understand the logic of "tough it out an extra year." But it would be nice to settle down eventually and not have to chase rings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:10 pm

So you are saying it makes more sense to do only a circuit clerkship?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:10 pm
I would only do it if you have a clear sense of why you will want or need it; you can financially afford to do it; and/or the district judge or district is more competitive than your circuit. Or if you want to goose your (small) odds for scotus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:38 am
Bolded something that stood out to me while lurking. I hope this isn't too philosophical for an anonymous forum, but it's been killing me for months and maybe it keeps the discussion going... How the heck do I know when to stop chasing the brass rings?

I'm first-gen and don't go to a T14, but I connected with many excellent professors, did lit boutique 1L summer (hated their vibe - not returning), law review exec board, random V20 lit 2L summer (loved the vibe and city despite it not being my most "intentional" decision in life), and now have my CoA clerkship lined up after being encouraged to apply by my school. For personal reasons, part of me feels compelled to keep climbing the proverbial ladder as much as possible. In turn, that makes me question my decision to go back to my 2L firm and whether I should be chasing brass rings like the prestige of D.C. lit/more prestigious firm, or district court clerkship in a more prestigious city. I ask my professors and get different answers from each (one says go back to my 2L firm, one says I should teach, one says go for bougie D.C. firms).

Am I naive to think the rat race ever ends? I told myself I'd give up chasing prestige once I blanked on the T14. I also thought I was done once I got my 1L grades, but next was the pressure to maintain them 2L, but also do exec board, but also take black-letter classes, but also apply to clerkships, etc. While I totally acknowledge my good fortune, it's just a lot to deal with and I have no idea when it's "worth it." I'm basically just doing what the collective legal hive-mind of law professors and internet forums tell me to do.

I also have a few years pre-law school experience and even the clerkship money is more than I ever earned. The big law money is in another universe for me or my family. So I understand the logic of "tough it out an extra year." But it would be nice to settle down eventually and not have to chase rings.
I’m the person who talked about brass rings. Honestly, I think it’s a very personal thing. On the one hand, in law the rat race probably never does end. But I’m a bit older and I spent a lot of time chasing brass rings in my earlier career especially, and I just got tired of it. Some of it was family-based - living with my spouse in a decent location where we could both have decent jobs took priority over trying to push my career as high as it could go. Also, being financially semi-secure makes it easier to ease up.

I guess I think it’s mostly a question of day to day happiness versus long term goals. Do you like what you currently do? If so, what do you need to do to keep doing it? If not, is there something else you want to do that Brass Ring X would help you accomplish? (For instance, clerk to be able to move to AUSA, or maybe clerk for a feeder to get SCOTUS.) Do you have personal reasons for wanting to accumulate as much wealth as humanly possible and are you willing to be miserable to do that? Do you have reasons *not* to chase the brass ring (like family priorities)?

I think the fact that your profs are all giving you different answers makes clear that there isn’t one right answer, which means at least that there isn’t an obvious wrong answer you should avoid. You can have a great career following any of these paths, it will just probably look somewhat different on each.

(Though if you have a prof telling you to teach when it’s not a career you’ve thought about pursuing, ignore them.)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:38 am

Trust yourself. If you want to do the d. ct. clerkship, go for it. If you don't, don't. If you want to trade up for a more prestigious firm, go for it. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you stop seriously looking for the brass rings. Trust me, I was in your shoes. I did the same thing. I chased them for awhile, got the gold stars, have now found a job I enjoy, and I'm not looking to leave it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:10 pm
I would only do it if you have a clear sense of why you will want or need it; you can financially afford to do it; and/or the district judge or district is more competitive than your circuit. Or if you want to goose your (small) odds for scotus.
I find it odd that this ignores the reason most clerks who double choose to do so--trial court clerkships are generally significantly more useful than appellate ones, and doubling gives you both the education of a trial court clerkship and the prestige of an appellate clerkship

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”