Significance of an interview? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Significance of an interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 pm

How many interviews does a district judge typically conduct for each open position?

If you receive a clerkship interview, does that mean that your qualifications are sufficient to be considered?

Anonymous User

Re: Significance of an interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 pm
How many interviews does a district judge typically conduct for each open position?

If you receive a clerkship interview, does that mean that your qualifications are sufficient to be considered?
It varies widely but typically three candidates are interviewed for every single position. So if you got an interview, there is a 1 in 3 chance you'll get the clerkship. If you got an interview, then it means your qualifications are sufficient enough to be considered, but for different candidates the interview has different weight. For example, someone with perfect grades but somewhat anemic recommendations might have to come across as nice and personable but won't have to demonstrate intellectual prowess in the interview. Someone else with borderline grades but really strong recommendations and interesting work experience might get grilled on a substantive legal issue, etc. For someone who's super strong all around on all metrics, then the interview might not matter much at all and it's just a formality and to confirm you aren't unbearably arrogant or a really bad personality fit or something like that.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:54 pm

delete

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

It varies widely but typically three candidates are interviewed for every single position. So if you got an interview, there is a 1 in 3 chance you'll get the clerkship. If you got an interview, then it means your qualifications are sufficient enough to be considered, but for different candidates the interview has different weight. For example, someone with perfect grades but somewhat anemic recommendations might have to come across as nice and personable but won't have to demonstrate intellectual prowess in the interview. Someone else with borderline grades but really strong recommendations and interesting work experience might get grilled on a substantive legal issue, etc. For someone who's super strong all around on all metrics, then the interview might not matter much at all and it's just a formality and to confirm you aren't unbearably arrogant or a really bad personality fit or something like that.
This is very helpful, thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Is
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:53 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Is it really typically 3 interviews per position? I always assumed it was much less, which is why there are so many on the spot offers, but maybe not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm

It’s completely idiosyncratic. I’ve interviewed with judges who considered 5-6 for a position. I’ve interviewed with judges who consider 1-3. And I’ve interviewed with judges who offer it to you on the spot. You can’t generalize it, unfortunately.

Just know that almost always, you’re not brought in to waste the judge’s time. They’re interested and want to hire you. You can only focus on being yourself in the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 pm

My chambers hired probably two thirds of people we interviewed. Some judges interview a ton of people. RBG was known for basically hiring everyone she interviewed. It’s very idiosyncratic, and I respectfully can’t agree with the general rules posted above.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:02 pm

Yes, I agree that you can’t generalize to three interviewees per position, it just really depends.

But I agree with the point that if you get interviewed, you’re qualified for the job. No one interviews candidates they know they wouldn’t hire. It’s not a guarantee - someone could just be better than you in all aspects or one crucial aspect - but you definitely have a shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:50 am

It varies from judge to judge. I clerked twice and both of my judges interviewed until they found someone they liked. This means 6+ candidates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:25 am

I think it puts you in a good spot --> unfortunately I thought I crushed an interview last week but radio silence since which is prolly not a good sign. I'd guess it's minimum 30% chance tho normally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:25 am
I think it puts you in a good spot --> unfortunately I thought I crushed an interview last week but radio silence since which is prolly not a good sign. I'd guess it's minimum 30% chance tho normally.
FWIW, if it was last week, that means we're off plan and that is not as bad a sign as it would be if you hadn't heard anything a week after a June 14 interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am

My district court judge only interviews people if he's like 90% sure he wants to hire them. The interview is mainly to ensure that the applicant isn't a complete weirdo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 am
My district court judge only interviews people if he's like 90% sure he wants to hire them. The interview is mainly to ensure that the applicant isn't a complete weirdo.
My district judge also does this, and man, has it taught me that the number of complete weirdos who look great on paper is pretty high. Being even semi-charming and affable in person will go a long way if you can get an interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”