Temporary Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Temporary Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:12 am

Is it worth applying to a clerkship that will only last 4-5 months?

Anonymous User

Re: Temporary Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:20 am

I think this depends on your competitiveness. Like if you were median at a T20 and got a 4 month circuit clerkship I'd say yes. But, if you're like top 10% at a T14 I'd say no. There are also going to be less people applying for a 4 month position so it gives you an opportunity to get a position you may normally not be competitive for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:12 am
Is it worth applying to a clerkship that will only last 4-5 months?
Yes, if you haven't been able to obtain a 12 month clerkship and don't think you'll be able to get one. I am clerking in a district court now and although I have never felt underwater or overwhelmed, I didn't feel like I "got it" until about the 6 month point. By the 9 month point things became routine and almost a little boring. Which is to say you are going to learn a lot in your 4-5 months and that a year-long clerkship is not necessary to build connections and learn a lot.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:21 am

Yes, the point is to be to say that you served as a judicial law clerk. Who cares for how long?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:08 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:21 am
Yes, the point is to be to say that you served as a judicial law clerk. Who cares for how long?
Anyone have any insight into trying to clerk temporarily for a few months in between clerkships? Going District -> COA, but I have a 2.5 month gap. I’ve been told that I can try and “temp” for another judge for that period of time so that I can stay insured. Anyone done anything similar?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:08 pm
Wild Card wrote:
Anyone have any insight into trying to clerk temporarily for a few months in between clerkships? Going District -> COA, but I have a 2.5 month gap. I’ve been told that I can try and “temp” for another judge for that period of time so that I can stay insured. Anyone done anything similar?
I've heard of someone temping for another judge for like 2 months while a clerk was on maternity leave, but of course that would require an insane amount of timing and luck, but hey not impossible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:05 am

I temp clerked. Yes, I got the insurance.

Yes, it worked out for me. I turned my temp clerkship into a d.ct. clerkship. It was lucky because I knew a couple new d.ct judges were going to be coming in and a clerk for my judge went to one of the new judge’s chambers.

Then I turned my d.ct. clerkship into a COA. This career takes so many twists and turns.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:08 pm
Wild Card wrote:
I've heard of someone temping for another judge for like 2 months while a clerk was on maternity leave, but of course that would require an insane amount of timing and luck, but hey not impossible.
That’s what I figured. I guess I’ll just ask the clerks/judge what they think is feasible. I’m moving halfway across the country for my second clerkship to an expensive city, so I was hoping to get some income to make it more manageable for my family. Idk how common this situation is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”