When to Reapply Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When to Reapply

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:45 pm

So question. I applied on plan some judges in paper and email. Landed a district court clerkship for 2023, but not circuit court bites. When can I reapply so to speak. For paper/email judges should I send an updated resume and reiterate interest, but for 2024 or 2025. Or for paper/email judges should I just send a whole new application. I also wonder if now is not the best time to update judges as they might be holding off on for hiring on future terms and taking a break after the rush in June? Maybe I should blanket out applications later in the fall or in the beginning of 2023?

Anonymous User

Re: When to Reapply

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:51 pm

I would apply to whoever you want to work for as early as you can. I mailed applications around this time last year (2021 for 2023) and got several interview invites in August through October. The fact that you've got a district court clerkship lined up gives you an edge on any rising 2Ls applying in the near future, so get your materials in while you've got the advantage.

If by "new application" you mean copies of all your materials again, you might as well. "Update" signals that you haven't been successful so far and places the burden on chambers to find your stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:51 pm
I would apply to whoever you want to work for as early as you can. I mailed applications around this time last year (2021 for 2023) and got several interview invites in August through October. The fact that you've got a district court clerkship lined up gives you an edge on any rising 2Ls applying in the near future, so get your materials in while you've got the advantage.

If by "new application" you mean copies of all your materials again, you might as well. "Update" signals that you haven't been successful so far and places the burden on chambers to find your stuff.
So I applied to a circuit judge but for 2023 that took paper apps. I should just resend my app (changed to acknowledge the presence of a district court), but instead note in my cover letter that this for 2024.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:37 pm

I think I would, especially because what I would be doing right now is getting 150+ applications ready to go, and doing the same mail merge for all of them. It's entirely possible your old envelope is unopened/tossed/set aside—for example, I got an interview invite in May from an application I had mailed in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”