Time Between Clerkship Interview and Final Decision Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Time Between Clerkship Interview and Final Decision

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:48 am

Hi all,

I recently had an interview with a district court judge in one of the busier jurisdictions of the country, and I wanted to get other people's thoughts on my experience so far.

I submitted my application right when the posting opened up and received a call to interview about a week later. I'm pretty far geographically from where I would potentially be clerking, but I quickly made arrangements to travel so that I could show my enthusiasm for working for this particular judge.

I thought the interview went well, and at the end of the interview, I was informed that they would have a decision by early next week. Since then, I was pretty optimistic; however, when I logged back onto OSCAR two days later, I noticed that the judge changed the position status to "filled."

I haven't heard from chambers about whether they selected someone else. Still, I wasn't sure if I'm overthinking the situation or should prepare myself for disappointment. lol

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Anonymous User

Re: Time Between Clerkship Interview and Final Decision

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:48 am
Hi all,

I recently had an interview with a district court judge in one of the busier jurisdictions of the country, and I wanted to get other people's thoughts on my experience so far.

I submitted my application right when the posting opened up and received a call to interview about a week later. I'm pretty far geographically from where I would potentially be clerking, but I quickly made arrangements to travel so that I could show my enthusiasm for working for this particular judge.

I thought the interview went well, and at the end of the interview, I was informed that they would have a decision by early next week. Since then, I was pretty optimistic; however, when I logged back onto OSCAR two days later, I noticed that the judge changed the position status to "filled."

I haven't heard from chambers about whether they selected someone else. Still, I wasn't sure if I'm overthinking the situation or should prepare myself for disappointment. lol

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
This means you didn’t get the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:08 pm

When that happened to me, it meant that I did not get the position. Just my personal experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:15 pm

Pretty rude to change the OSCAR posting without a courtesy email letting you know you didn't get it. I'd say you dodged a bullet, sounds like a bad judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:24 pm

It can also mean that the judge has decided that he doesn't want more applications, but hasn't decided on the exact clerks he intends to hire.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:24 pm
It can also mean that the judge has decided that he doesn't want more applications, but hasn't decided on the exact clerks he intends to hire.
I don't think this is the case lol unfortunately for OP, this almost certainly means they did not get it. At least there is some finality though, most judges don't contact the applicant or update the OSCAR listing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't think this is the case lol unfortunately for OP, this almost certainly means they did not get it. At least there is some finality though, most judges don't contact the applicant or update the OSCAR listing.
I think most judges personally reject interviewees. If not, jesus that's a terrible practice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:45 pm

I have had something similar happen to me lol --> interview with a judge who makes a big point about not being on Oscar. Few days post-interview, posts job on Oscar lol and been radio silence for weeks since. Took that one to the chin . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think most judges personally reject interviewees. If not, jesus that's a terrible practice
I had two interviews (one a callback) that I never heard whether I got the job or not. It’s more common than you think, unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry, I meant most judges don't update the OSCAR listing, but there are more judges than you would expect that just never contact the applicant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”