Small Gap Between Clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Small Gap Between Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:25 am

Does anyone have any suggestion about what to do with a 2 month gap between clerkships? It seems like too little time to work at a firm (I’m planning to hunt for a job post-clerkship and don’t want to return to my summer firm), but it’s too long to go without a paycheck. Any advice? Is unemployment assistance an option?

Anonymous User

Re: Small Gap Between Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:25 am
Does anyone have any suggestion about what to do with a 2 month gap between clerkships? It seems like too little time to work at a firm (I’m planning to hunt for a job post-clerkship and don’t want to return to my summer firm), but it’s too long to go without a paycheck. Any advice? Is unemployment assistance an option?
I had three months between clerkships, and unemployment is an option.

In NY, it's a pain in the butt, because you need a special form for federal employees. If you fill out an application online, which was necessary at the height of the pandemic, your application would fall into perpetual limbo,because there's no way for you to upload the form. I had to spend hours on the phone until I reached someone who knew what was going on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 pm

You’ll accumulate roughly two weeks of PTO that you can use. Or just ask your judges to adjust the dates, it happens all the time for this reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:25 am
I had three months between clerkships, and unemployment is an option.

In NY, it's a pain in the butt, because you need a special form for federal employees. If you fill out an application online, which was necessary at the height of the pandemic, your application would fall into perpetual limbo,because there's no way for you to upload the form. I had to spend hours on the phone until I reached someone who knew what was going on.
Good to know that it’s realistic in my situation. Just want to make sure that I’ve got some income whenever my family and I move to the next place. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:25 pm
You’ll accumulate roughly two weeks of PTO that you can use. Or just ask your judges to adjust the dates, it happens all the time for this reason.
That's probably not an option, because judges are allocated a set number of clerks that are allowed to be on the books at a particular time. If OP is on PTO, they are still technically employed and their replacement would not be allowed to be on the books.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”