Accepted District Court Clerkship - What is the Best Way to Update Applications for Appellate Judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Accepted District Court Clerkship - What is the Best Way to Update Applications for Appellate Judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:16 pm

I accepted a District Court Clerkship and I am attempting to get an appellate clerkship for the following year. I have some outstanding applications for the appellate clerkships and I am wondering what is the best way to update these applications? Most are on OSCAR and my clerkship office told me to submit an updated cover letter but I was wondering if it might be better to call chambers directly.

Anonymous User

Re: Accepted District Court Clerkship - What is the Best Way to Update Applications for Appellate Judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Like calling chambers directly yourself? Definitely do not do that - just update your cover letter on OSCAR, and at most ask a professor to call the judges you're most interested in.

Anonymous User

Re: Accepted District Court Clerkship - What is the Best Way to Update Applications for Appellate Judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm

Calling is way too aggressive. An email is as far as you should go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 pm
Like calling chambers directly yourself? Definitely do not do that - just update your cover letter on OSCAR, and at most ask a professor to call the judges you're most interested in.
What about for judges who are not on Oscar? I applied to a few older judges through mail and the only contact information I can find is either a fax or phone number. I suppose I could just mail an updated cover letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:38 pm

"Judge X/Judicial Assistant Y,

Hello! I hope your day is going well.

I am reaching out to provide an updated resume. I recently accepted a clerkship with Judge Judy for the District of Bliss for the 2022-2023 term. I remain interested and excited for the possibility of clerking in your chambers in 2023.

Best,
Neurotic Law Student."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 pm
What about for judges who are not on Oscar? I applied to a few older judges through mail and the only contact information I can find is either a fax or phone number. I suppose I could just mail an updated cover letter.
Yes, just update using the same method you used to originally apply - mail a new resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 pm

Calls to chambers would be a faux pas, but on the hirer’s side it’s not easy to see OSCAR updates—it tells us you updated but not what you updated. I think an email to chambers could be appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”