Chance of a fed clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chance of a fed clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Hey all,

I've always been interested in clerking, but didn't (don't) have the credentials and never really went for it. I've been practicing in BL (BL for my city) for a few years now, published some, and am interested in pursuing either a dist ct clerkship or a circuit clerkship. I'm sure I do not have the credentials for any - went to a southern school think Bama/Wake/Tulane/Emory/UNC ballpark- had median grades, board of a secondary journal. I'm center/center-right, but not hardcore (and don't mind clerking for folks anywhere on the political spectrum) and just trying to see if this is even something that is feasible.
I'm really interested in using this as a platform to go into Criminal Defense eventually. I do commercial lit atm.
Areas I'm focusing on are TX, TN, OH, and am open to Mich, KY, SC,NC, VA, PA, Sipp and FL. For COA, I'm open to really anyone who would take me. Like I said, I don't think I have the credentials, but thought it might be worth asking.

jdoeman1234567

New

Re: Chance of a fed clerkship?

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm
Hey all,

I've always been interested in clerking, but didn't (don't) have the credentials and never really went for it. I've been practicing in BL (BL for my city) for a few years now, published some, and am interested in pursuing either a dist ct clerkship or a circuit clerkship. I'm sure I do not have the credentials for any - went to a southern school think Bama/Wake/Tulane/Emory/UNC ballpark- had median grades, board of a secondary journal. I'm center/center-right, but not hardcore (and don't mind clerking for folks anywhere on the political spectrum) and just trying to see if this is even something that is feasible.
I'm really interested in using this as a platform to go into Criminal Defense eventually. I do commercial lit atm.
Areas I'm focusing on are TX, TN, OH, and am open to Mich, KY, SC,NC, VA, PA, Sipp and FL. For COA, I'm open to really anyone who would take me. Like I said, I don't think I have the credentials, but thought it might be worth asking.

You basically have no shot at a COA unless there is something incredibly compelling about yourself that you did not mention. I think you could possibly get some interest from district courts if you apply very broadly and work all possible connections. A good chunk of district court judges like work experience and a call from a local practitioner who the judge knows and respects could go a long way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:31 pm

Apply to district courts in noncompetitive districts that you have VERY solid connections to. Your post is kinda vague so it is hard to tell, but let us say you practice in Tennessee and went to law school in Emory. I would apply to district judges in Tennessee and Georgia and write targeted cover letters mentioning your connection. Would also help if someone called the judge for you. After you get a district court clerkship then you can maybe try applying to the Circuit judges in the same state as the district judge, but it will be a long shot. Still might as well try it though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:40 pm

In the interest of brevity, not in pursuit of being rude, but your chances are zero to none unless you have a personal connection. So I'd work on developing those if you really want to clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:05 pm

Yeah when this works out for people it’s often because a law firm partner who knows the judge well (such as a former clerk) goes to bat hard for their associate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks all, this is the OP.
Yeah, I figured it would be a long shot and just debating if it is worth it. I do really want to clerk and am considering a few state appeals courts, like TX crim appeals court, but not sure yet.
Really appreciate all y'all's insight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:46 pm

I did a state appeals court (though not TX) and it was a great experience. My judge was great, I learned a ton, and a lot was relevant to criminal defense. It's certainly going to be more instrumental if you do state-level criminal defense than if you want to go federal, although I know a lot of federal defenders who started as state public defenders. (If you want to do private criminal defense, I think time with a state/federal defender program would be INCREDIBLY helpful.)

I also went from state COA to federal district court, in part b/c of having done the state COA.

As with anything, if your judge is shitty, it will suck and you won't have quite as valuable a gold star on your resume, but it's definitely worth considering.

(I agree with everyone above that your best shot for a federal clerkship is going to be through a connection. I do think you might have a chance with judges who are alums of your school/have hired alums from your school and who favor work experience, which is more likely to be district court judges than COA.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”