Leveraging Interviews in Different Circuits Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Leveraging Interviews in Different Circuits

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:22 pm

Hi all. I have a COA clerkship interview coming up in a relatively competitive district that's across the country from my "home" circuit. I'm ecstatic about the interview (and a little nervous), but there are other judges in my home circuit (also DC/2/9) that I have yet to hear back from. I know folks sometimes can leverage an interview into more interviews within that same circuit/area, but would it be improper/hurt my chances if I reached out to judges on my home circuit to let them know I have a circuit interview on a competitive circuit but would like to interview with them as well? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Leveraging Interviews in Different Circuits

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:32 pm

If you're ecstatic about this interview doesn't really make sense to risk it imo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:51 pm

So I'm no expert, but I've generally heard only of people leveraging interviews to get more interviews with judges in the same courthouse. Reaching out to judges to say, "I'm going to travel to your courthouse on [date] for an interview with Judge X, and would be very happy to meet with you while I'm there if you'd be interested" is rather different from reaching out to say "I have an interview with another judge somewhere else but I'd really love to work for you."

(This plays out a little differently where you've already interviewed with a judge and then get other interview offers, but the above is how I think it would work at this stage.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Hi all. I have a COA clerkship interview coming up in a relatively competitive district that's across the country from my "home" circuit. I'm ecstatic about the interview (and a little nervous), but there are other judges in my home circuit (also DC/2/9) that I have yet to hear back from. I know folks sometimes can leverage an interview into more interviews within that same circuit/area, but would it be improper/hurt my chances if I reached out to judges on my home circuit to let them know I have a circuit interview on a competitive circuit but would like to interview with them as well? Thanks in advance.
Current clerk here who does hiring. I don’t think this would work. Like mentioned above, this only really works if you’re going to interview in the same courthouse. And you can leverage it to help with judges for whom you’ve already interviewed but haven’t heard back. Typically, you’d interview first with Judge A, then when you get an interview with Judge B, you send Judge A an update that you’ll be doing an interview with Judge B, and that speeds up the process and makes you seem desirable.

An interview with one judge won’t get you an interview with a different, unrelated Judge, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:12 pm

Not a thing, don’t do this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”