Corporate work to clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Corporate work to clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:15 pm

Would beginning one's career as a corporate associate preclude someone from being seriously considered in post-grad clerkship applications?

I know the rationale for clerking as a corp associate is non-existent, so please do not rail me with "why would someone do that, clerkships are useless for corporate associates!" I'm just curious how prohibitive it would be.

Anonymous User

Re: Corporate work to clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:15 pm
Would beginning one's career as a corporate associate preclude someone from being seriously considered in post-grad clerkship applications?

I know the rationale for clerking as a corp associate is non-existent, so please do not rail me with "why would someone do that, clerkships are useless for corporate associates!" I'm just curious how prohibitive it would be.
I wouldn’t say it’s prohibitive for my chambers, but it would definitely raise questions. If you started corporate and intend to remain in corporate, it may be tough to get hired. Some judges like hiring a few years out of law school for the experience, but corporate experience may be a bit irrelevant.

If you have a great reason you can articulate, then I wouldn’t necessarily see it as an issue. Just make sure you have a good reason for clerking and a good writing sample.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”