3L / Alum Timing? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

3L / Alum Timing?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:13 pm

What's the conventional wisdom on optimal timing for 3L and alum apps? My thoughts were:

1) January / Feb after 3L fall grades come out in case judges are constantly reviewing, in order to hit the nice little interview space where 2L's can't go yet

2) March / April where apps will actually be read pre-plan, with potential hiring in March-May

3) March / April where apps will actually be read pre-plan, but with potential hiring not until the plan opens

4) Fully waiting a year, just competing on the next plan year

Which of these is closest to reality? Also, is there any ideological difference as to how libs / conservatives look at 3L's? Are libs more likely to, for example, only really hire once a year with all eligible candidates included versus conservatives more likely to be looking at apps year-round, or are they not as disparate in this regard?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L / Alum Timing?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:11 pm

I don't really think there is an optimal timing for 3Ls. Judges are going to be posting on OSCAR throughout the year. Applying sooner is better than later imo unless you think your application is going to be a lot different in a semester. Just keep checking and keep applying to judges that interest you. You're off-plan now so no purpose in waiting for some arbitrary point to launch all of your applications at once.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:56 pm

I guess my question is will chambers actually keep an eye out for OSCAR updates / new apps as they come in on postings that are already up and unfilled throughout the year, or will they tend to hold off and just go through the usual annual flurry *only* at the next Plan date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:13 pm

In the chambers I work in, the judge just sort of accepts them on a rolling basis all year. I don’t really think there’s an optimal time to apply. (And for the record, the judge has hired several years out—mostly alums with work experience.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”