When to Stop Applying to Clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When to Stop Applying to Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:55 pm

I graduated just outside the top 10% at a lower T-14 in 2020, have applied to 80+ judges over the span of two years, have gotten two circuit court interviews, two competitive district court interviews, and 0 offers. At this point I'm considering giving up trying to clerk, staying at my biglaw job for now, and then trying to transition to government in 1-4 years. Clerking is not a pre-requisite for the government position I'm interested in, although I'm sure clerking is still a credential the agency values.

Is 0 offers after 4 interviews normal, or does it suggest that there's something wrong with my interviewing skills/likability with judges? I'm tired of the constant rejection and am not sure clerking will even make or break my career. Am I being foolish for giving up?

Anonymous User

Re: When to Stop Applying to Clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am

Could be random, I did eight interviews (for two clerkships) and went zero for four, then four for four

My primary question is that 80 judges over two cycles is not many. You may have geographic constraints at this point, but you should be hitting 100 per cycle ideally. Also maybe consider expanding to your SSC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:29 am

I’ve seen someone post about going 11 interviews before getting something. The ultimate choice is so subjective, and your competition is so tough, I wouldn’t rule yourself out because of going 0-4 up to this point. Getting those interviews at all is more than many people do, which I realize is no consolation given the outcome, but it means you’re a competitive candidate and likely to get something if you expand your application pool (I agree that it’s not a particularly large pool of judges).

But if you decide you’re done with it that’s fine too. If it’s not make/break for what you want to do, it’s up to you not to keep going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:15 am

80 isn't that much. I'd keep applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:01 am

I did about 80, only one cycle. Got 1 interview, and struck out. Gave up. May throw my hat back in the ring one day, but eh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GnosisExchange

New

Post by GnosisExchange » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:18 pm

0-4 is not alarming. It could be you or it could be one of a thousand factors--most importantly that even if the judge loved you, the number of spots is tiny.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 pm

I'll add that I struck out completely for a little under two years. Two interviews and no job. Next cycle, without any substantial change to my resume but after polishing my writing sample a bit more, I had seven interview requests. I took a job with one of the judges who had interviewed me the prior year and was delighted I reapplied. The judge then made one phone call that, in my opinion, secured me a second clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”