Are there any nonwhite judges who are a part of Fed Soc? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Are there any nonwhite judges who are a part of Fed Soc?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Kearse (CA2) possibly

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm
I also thought the comment was funny. For those who don't know, Miguel Estrada is a conservative SCOTUS litigator who was nominated (but not confirmed) to the D.C. Circuit. Leaked Democrat memos called to oppose his nomination (back when that was uncommon) because "he is Latino." And OP wonders why there aren't more nonwhite FedSoc judges...
The Democrats blocked Estrada and numerous others as payback for the Republicans blocking a number of Clinton appointees near the end of his presidency, including the seat for which Estrada was nominated. And if OP wonders why there aren't more nonwhite FedSoc judges, they should ask the Trump administration.
https://theconversation.com/trump-and-m ... rts-146828

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:27 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:23 pm
Miguel Estrada (oh wait...)
Underrated comment.
How so?
As the person who wrote this comment, I thought it was properly rated lol. That said, at my school, only a handful of people had ever heard of Estrada, which I think is a shame. Impossible to understand our modern confirmation woes without understanding that debacle.
I also thought the comment was funny. For those who don't know, Miguel Estrada is a conservative SCOTUS litigator who was nominated (but not confirmed) to the D.C. Circuit. Leaked Democrat memos called to oppose his nomination (back when that was uncommon) because "he is Latino." And OP wonders why there aren't more nonwhite FedSoc judges...
To think, all of those white, male liberal SCOTUS justices we could have had if only Republicans hadn't blocked Garland...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:25 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The Democrats blocked Estrada and numerous others as payback for the Republicans blocking a number of Clinton appointees near the end of his presidency, including the seat for which Estrada was nominated.
This is completely inaccurate, as their own documents show: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB106877910996248300

“They also identified Miguel Estrada (D.C. Circuit) as especially dangerous, because he has a minimal paper trail, he is Latino, and the White House seems to be grooming him for a Supreme Court appointment. They want to hold Estrada off as long as possible.”

lawstudent0070

New

Post by lawstudent0070 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm

Of all the flashpoints in modern judicial confirmation politics, I never thought Miguel Estrada would be the first to start a fight in this thread. :lol:

In addition to the others already mentioned, Ho on CA5 and Park on CA2 are also prominent nonwhite conservatives. Would not be surprised if Park eventually gets a SCOTUS nod... but maybe the Consovoy associations will provide too much fodder for Sen. Whitehouse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:33 pm

lawstudent0070 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm
Of all the flashpoints in modern judicial confirmation politics, I never thought Miguel Estrada would be the first to start a fight in this thread. :lol:

In addition to the others already mentioned, Ho on CA5 and Park on CA2 are also prominent nonwhite conservatives. Would not be surprised if Park eventually gets a SCOTUS nod... but maybe the Consovoy associations will provide too much fodder for Sen. Whitehouse.
It’s not that surprising, it’s not that well known, and the media did their best to hide the ugly racism behind the nomination failing. Most on the left, as shown above, still deny the obvious wholeheartedly. But it left a very sour taste in the mouths of everyone in FedSoc, who also are well aware of the horrific personal indignities Estrada was also put through by Schumer and company.

lawstudent0070

New

Post by lawstudent0070 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:33 pm
lawstudent0070 wrote:

It’s not that surprising, it’s not that well known, and the media did their best to hide the ugly racism behind the nomination failing. Most on the left, as shown above, still deny the obvious wholeheartedly. But it left a very sour taste in the mouths of everyone in FedSoc, who also are well aware of the horrific personal indignities Estrada was also put through by Schumer and company.
Oh I'm not defending Estrada's treatment, quite the opposite. It was just a bit of a throwback, is all

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:42 pm

lawstudent0070 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lawstudent0070 wrote:

Oh I'm not defending Estrada's treatment, quite the opposite. It was just a bit of a throwback, is all
No worries. I also tend to doubt Park would get SCOTUS seat, there are too many other appointees that seem to have a better chance. He also, as far as I remember, did a lot of commercial work back at Consovoy, as opposed to the more political cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:07 pm

Most Fed Soc insiders know that Thapar is one of (if not the leading) the overwhelming favorites to be picked for SCOTUS in the next Republican administration. Rao, Ho, and Bumatay are also regularly feted at NLC. If anything, being non-white is a plus for all of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The Democrats blocked Estrada and numerous others as payback for the Republicans blocking a number of Clinton appointees near the end of his presidency, including the seat for which Estrada was nominated. And if OP wonders why there aren't more nonwhite FedSoc judges, they should ask the Trump administration.
Surely we can set partisanship aside and agree that "he's Latino" shouldn't be offered as a reason for denying anyone a federal judgeship. That shouldn't be controversial.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:07 pm
Most Fed Soc insiders know that Thapar is one of (if not the leading) the overwhelming favorites to be picked for SCOTUS in the next Republican administration. Rao, Ho, and Bumatay are also regularly feted at NLC. If anything, being non-white is a plus for all of them.
I agree that Thapar would be the pick if an opening could be filled by a republican today. However, by the time that Thomas or Alito retires, Thapar may have aged out. I would put my money on Rao, Rushing, or Grant. However, this guess is worth what you paid for it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:07 pm
I agree that Thapar would be the pick if an opening could be filled by a republican today. However, by the time that Thomas or Alito retires, Thapar may have aged out. I would put my money on Rao, Rushing, or Grant. However, this guess is worth what you paid for it.
Being non-white is a plus for sure. It is difficult to get through law school hearing abjectly racist and vile abuse from classmates on an almost daily basis for being a minority in FedSoc. It indicates to people on the selection committees they are much less likely to lapse into Roberts/Kennedy/Souter leftism.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:42 pm
lawstudent0070 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lawstudent0070 wrote:

No worries. I also tend to doubt Park would get SCOTUS seat, there are too many other appointees that seem to have a better chance. He also, as far as I remember, did a lot of commercial work back at Consovoy, as opposed to the more political cases.
I could see the GOP wanting to play up Asian connections post-Harvard and Park has a quieter record than Bumatay (family separations, lots of en banc stuff), Ho (lol), or Lee (en banc stuff), in part because CA2 is a fairly quiet court compared to CA5 or CA9. That could either help or hurt his chances depending on the political environment--I could see some fears that he'd be a Roberts, as he's married to a liberal CLS prof, isn't all that ideological by Fed Soc standards in clerkship hiring, etc. He's also a former Alito clerk, and Alito seems plausibly likely to leave in the next GOP admin.

Whether Rao is a contender will probably depend on whether the social conservatives have gotten over their objections. Oldham is clearly absolutely desperate to get SCOTUS and seems like the leading candidate if it's a white guy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 am

Re. Estrada: several people I know at GDC have had not-great things to say about working with him, so had he been confirmed, he might have become a mainstay of the best-and-worst-judges thread. Fun little thought exercise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 am
Re. Estrada: several people I know at GDC have had not-great things to say about working with him, so had he been confirmed, he might have become a mainstay of the best-and-worst-judges thread. Fun little thought exercise.
Yes, Estrada is a notoriously tough partner

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
True, but not about his intellect or work ethic. If he was on D.C. Circuit, he'd compete with Srinivasan and Katsas for the most-demanding-boss title.

kolio6

New

Post by kolio6 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:27 am
Anonymous User wrote:
True, but not about his intellect or work ethic. If he was on D.C. Circuit, he'd compete with Srinivasan and Katsas for the most-demanding-boss title.
Nah that prize indisputably goes to Millett

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:25 pm
This is completely inaccurate, as their own documents show: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB106877910996248300

“They also identified Miguel Estrada (D.C. Circuit) as especially dangerous, because he has a minimal paper trail, he is Latino, and the White House seems to be grooming him for a Supreme Court appointment. They want to hold Estrada off as long as possible.”
Uh no, it's not. Or are you about to argue that they were filibustering Bill Pryor, Richard Griffin, David McKeague, and Priscilla Owen because they're also Latino? :lol:

That memo only gives insight into why Estrada was somebody they considered to be a good person to pick to filibuster as payback.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Surely we can set partisanship aside and agree that "he's Latino" shouldn't be offered as a reason for denying anyone a federal judgeship. That shouldn't be controversial.
We agree. But this is politics. Optics matter. And those sort of things get considered on both sides. DC is a place full of shitty people.

Personally, I wish he had gotten the job instead of Griffith. There's nothing wrong with Griffith, but Estrada went through hell and didn't get the judgeship in the end. That doesn't feel just.

That all said, it feels silly to still be beating that drum after everything that has happened in the past 20 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:56 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:25 pm

Uh no, it's not. Or are you about to argue that they were filibustering Bill Pryor, Richard Griffin, David McKeague, and Priscilla Owen because they're also Latino? :lol:

That memo only gives insight into why Estrada was somebody they considered to be a good person to pick to filibuster as payback.
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:32 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
We agree. But this is politics. Optics matter. And those sort of things get considered on both sides. DC is a place full of shitty people.

Personally, I wish he had gotten the job instead of Griffith. There's nothing wrong with Griffith, but Estrada went through hell and didn't get the judgeship in the end. That doesn't feel just.

That all said, it feels silly to still be beating that drum after everything that has happened in the past 20 years.
I was the one who mentioned him. Didn't want to beat the drum about his treatment, I just think his nomination is a key part of the confirmation woes, as it created massive hostility that has never really gone away. I would say his nomination rivals Bork in importance, but is far less known.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:58 pm

kolio6 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you elaborate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:10 pm

lavarman84 wrote:

Trying to imagine your reaction if Senate republicans wrote a memo saying they were filibustering anyone because of their race, sex, or orientation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:50 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Maybe, but Democrats said the quiet part out loud, all while insisting that racism is exclusively a Republican problem. Similarly, the unstated implication of this thread is that FedSoc has few if any minority judges. That's factually wrong, as others have proven, but it's also fair to point out that Democrats played a role in keeping qualified minority conservatives off the federal bench.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:58 pm
kolio6 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could you elaborate?
Different anon. Do a search of this board. This is fairly well known.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:50 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
Maybe, but Democrats said the quiet part out loud, all while insisting that racism is exclusively a Republican problem. Similarly, the unstated implication of this thread is that FedSoc has few if any minority judges. That's factually wrong, as others have proven, but it's also fair to point out that Democrats played a role in keeping qualified minority conservatives off the federal bench.
Nothing stopped Trump from appointing him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:50 pm
lavarman84 wrote:
I think it’s hilarious that the fed socs dweebs in this thread name a dozen or so non white judges in a federal judiciary of hundreds and think they’ve disproven “that FedSoc has few if any minority judges.”

Successful troll is successful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”