Are there any nonwhite judges who are a part of Fed Soc? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Are there any nonwhite judges who are a part of Fed Soc?

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:44 am
I don't think I'm speaking to an uneducated choir, I'm very aware I'm speaking to a, as others put it, hack.

"fed up with the process" - an interesting way of pointing out that Estrada withdrew and never submitted his name again for any position because his wife miscarried from the stress of 3 years of baseless Democratic smears against him, and then tragically passed away shortly after. And people haven't "gotten over it" in 20 years because it was everyone is well aware of the horrendous toll Democratic racism took on Estrada, and its subsequent poisoning of the process.

But anyway, by your logic, the seat, along with many others, was originally "stolen" from John Roberts back in 1992 when Democrats didn't give him a vote.

"According to a report by the Congressional Research Service (CRS), in 1992 Biden killed the nominations of 32 Bush appointees to the federal bench without giving them so much as a hearing. And that does not count an additional 20 nominations for the federal bench where Biden did not hold hearings that year, which CRS excluded from its count because they reached the Senate “within approximately [four] months before it adjourned.”

So none were cases in which time simply ran out. There was plenty of time to consider the nominations. But Biden refused. Why? According to an article in Texas Lawyer magazine, cited in the CRS report, some of the “nominees reportedly fell victim to presidential election year politics, as Democrats hoped to preserve vacancies in expectation that their presidential candidate would win election.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Right back at you, hack friend. I'm glad you reinforced that this game of blocking the other side's judicial nominees as political retribution has been going for decades now. Thanks for proving my point. The process was poisoned long before Estrada. He was one of many casualties of our terribly designed method of nominating and appointing judges.

But hey, he's useful for right-wingers to play the aggrieved victim. And in this thread, he has even proven useful to justify FedSoc judges being so disproportionately white. What a versatile guy!

Letmein7

New

Post by Letmein7 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Lavarman has exactly the personality I would expect from someone who has 8,000 posts on this forum.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:34 am
OP here: not a troll! Relax you guys haha. Thought it would be too tedious on my end to include in my first post "aside from Thomas, Rao, Thapar, Bumatay, Ada Brown, who are other nonwhite Fed Soc judges?"

I found it interesting in my search that many nonwhite judges appointed by Republican presidents are not a part of Fed Soc. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that maybe Fed Soc was in its nascent stage while they were in law school.
you might have thought harder about that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:42 pm
lawstudent0070 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:33 pm
lawstudent0070 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm
Of all the flashpoints in modern judicial confirmation politics, I never thought Miguel Estrada would be the first to start a fight in this thread. :lol:

In addition to the others already mentioned, Ho on CA5 and Park on CA2 are also prominent nonwhite conservatives. Would not be surprised if Park eventually gets a SCOTUS nod... but maybe the Consovoy associations will provide too much fodder for Sen. Whitehouse.
It’s not that surprising, it’s not that well known, and the media did their best to hide the ugly racism behind the nomination failing. Most on the left, as shown above, still deny the obvious wholeheartedly. But it left a very sour taste in the mouths of everyone in FedSoc, who also are well aware of the horrific personal indignities Estrada was also put through by Schumer and company.
Oh I'm not defending Estrada's treatment, quite the opposite. It was just a bit of a throwback, is all
No worries. I also tend to doubt Park would get SCOTUS seat, there are too many other appointees that seem to have a better chance. He also, as far as I remember, did a lot of commercial work back at Consovoy, as opposed to the more political cases.
Yeah if you look at Park's old Consovoy bio on the Wayback machine it's mostly about his commercial/securities law practice, and he came from a traditional biglaw background, not that much like others at the firm. Of course he did some political work too.

His Senate Judiciary questionnaire also describes his practices at all three of his firms as primarily commercial/securities/white-collar and lists work for clients like Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, and Merrill Lynch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”