Vision and Dental Insurance Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Saami

New

Vision and Dental Insurance

Post by Saami » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 pm

I just received HR packets for my clerkship, and in the benefits brochure it says employees who work a year or less don't qualify for the Federal Employees Vision and Dental Insurance Program. Does that mean my wife, son, and I won't have dental or vision coverage during my clerkship? Because that's insane if so...

Anonymous User

Re: Vision and Dental Insurance

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 pm

Saami wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 pm
I just received HR packets for my clerkship, and in the benefits brochure it says employees who work a year or less don't qualify for the Federal Employees Vision and Dental Insurance Program. Does that mean my wife, son, and I won't have dental or vision coverage during my clerkship? Because that's insane if so...
You can buy through Benefeds, very cheap add-on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:52 am

(changed mind)

Saami

New

Post by Saami » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 pm
Saami wrote:
Are you confident about this? Because the packet I received seems to suggest that I'd only be eligible for that if my position were for over 1 year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:46 am

Different anon - I just checked the paperwork from my one year clerkship and found my Benefeds vision/dental insurance enrollment. Admittedly this was from a few years ago so it could have changed, though I’d be surprised.

(OSCAR suggests it hasn’t - see benefits section: https://oscar.uscourts.gov/qualificatio ... y_benefits)

(Also, sadly, it’s not really insane not to be offered vision/dental - about half the employers in the US don’t.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:09 pm

Saami wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 pm
Saami wrote:
Are you confident about this? Because the packet I received seems to suggest that I'd only be eligible for that if my position were for over 1 year.
100% sure. Have done it twice (including currently).

Saami

New

Post by Saami » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:46 am
(Also, sadly, it’s not really insane not to be offered vision/dental - about half the employers in the US don’t.)
Ah, but being common and being insane aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

Anyways, good to hear these reassuring comments. My son's teeth won't rot. Thanks all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”