Applying via both mail and OSCAR Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschoolkid0122

New

Applying via both mail and OSCAR

Post by lawschoolkid0122 » Fri May 06, 2022 6:20 pm

Hi all. About a month ago, I sent paper applications to all judges in a particular COA circuit. Today, I saw one of the judges posted a couple openings on OSCAR, requesting applications via either paper or email (not via OSCAR).

Am I correct that I should not email an application, since they likely have my paper app and will contact me if I have a chance?

On the one hand, there’s no way to verify they received my paper application, so sending an email will make sure chambers has it. On the other hand, I don’t want to appear pushy and pester chambers.

Appreciate any advice!

PS calling chambers is not an option

Chokenhauer

New

Re: Applying via both mail and OSCAR

Post by Chokenhauer » Fri May 06, 2022 8:29 pm

You’re correct. If they want to get in touch with you, they will. You may want to reach out to your recommenders to have them push for you. That’s going to be your best bet to get your application pulled. But don’t call and ask if they received it. At least in our chambers, that would be a little much.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri May 06, 2022 8:39 pm

Chokenhauer wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:29 pm
You’re correct. If they want to get in touch with you, they will. You may want to reach out to your recommenders to have them push for you. That’s going to be your best bet to get your application pulled. But don’t call and ask if they received it. At least in our chambers, that would be a little much.
Agree with this. They have your app, it was sent in one of the formats they wanted, you have to just wait and see what happens.

(also, for future reference, send your applications priority mail and get a tracking number and you'll know when they arrived.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Newbie to the process--it seems the replies on this thread are a lot more sane than the common TLS advice even a couple years ago that used to talk about a "paper bonus" even with an OSCAR app since OSCAR gets flooded. Did COVID / forcing everyone to go online make that (rather silly) paper point a relic? I hope so.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue May 17, 2022 1:52 pm

I’ve been a big advocate in the past of paper apps, because I think they do get at least glanced at in a way that OSCAR apps don’t always. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone recommend applying *both* on paper and on OSCAR/e-mail, which is what the OP was talking about.

(It’s been long enough since I applied that I’m not as comfortable recommending paper apps - it’s the kind of thing that could definitely change over time, especially as the plan changes.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”