Does Federal Clerkship count for FMLA purposes? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Does Federal Clerkship count for FMLA purposes?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2022 11:59 pm

Hi all. Does anyone know if a federal clerkship counts as prior eligible federal service for FMLA entitlement purposes? Personal/anecdotal stories are appreciated...

I'll be joining the federal government in a few weeks, and I was hoping to take maternity/paternity leave a few months after I join my agency (but before I've been there for a year).

I was reading through the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and it looks like, to be eligible, one must have completed 12 months of "federal service" (not necessarily recent or consecutive). But looks like an "intermitted appointment or temporary appointment of one year or less" does not count as "federal service." This makes me think my one-year term federal clerkship won't count.

Anonymous User

Re: Does Federal Clerkship count for FMLA purposes?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 am

It depends on how your judge's chambers classified you during your clerkship. Some do the temporary thing and others don't. If you go back and look at the HR paperwork from your clerkship, you should be able to figure it out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 02, 2022 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:09 am
It depends on how your judge's chambers classified you during your clerkship. Some do the temporary thing and others don't. If you go back and look at the HR paperwork from your clerkship, you should be able to figure it out.
Very helpful. Thank you so much!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:52 am

have the same question as the OP, I had a clerkship several years ago, and I was classified as a full time term law clerk, would that count for FMLA purposes and how much time would it add to maternity leave?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:52 am
have the same question as the OP, I had a clerkship several years ago, and I was classified as a full time term law clerk, would that count for FMLA purposes and how much time would it add to maternity leave?
It doesn’t really add any time to the leave itself, it just makes you eligible for federal parental leave (which requires FMLA eligibility)sooner as opposed to later.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:45 pm

Does anyone have a citation for this (that being a term law clerk counts as having been an employee for FMLA/parental leave eligibility purposes)? I've been trying to research and coming up empty, and this thread is the closest I've seen to an answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:59 pm

Necropost, but I will hopefully know in a few days. I'll follow up when I find out.

The answer is yes, at least if your judge puts you on the leave act.

Source: I was on the leave act for two year-long clerkships, and now I'm on FMLA leave after joining DOJ through the honors program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”