Surgical Scheduling during Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Surgical Scheduling during Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi all:

This is a weird question. I was able to schedule a long-delayed elective surgery (keeping the details private, but imagine wisdom teeth removal) in the middle of my clerkship next year, which will require about a week before I can return to work. It was hard to find dates that work, and it's not realistic to think I can do the surgery in the first year after starting a "real job."

I had to put a deposit down as the procedure is not entirely covered by insurance, so I am basically planning to ask forgiveness rather than permission. Is there anything I should worry about other than simply informing my judge that I need to take that week off for medical reasons, and will be happy to apply my vacation time to it?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Surgical Scheduling during Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:30 pm

You should ask the judge's current or former clerks about what you should do. Judges vary wildly on issues like this, and not all judges give vacation days. It may or may not be a big deal, depending entirely on the judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2022 4:17 pm

I agree with asking former clerks about the best way to raise something like this with the judge. Depending on just how elective the surgery is, some judges would likely be very understanding while others would be annoyed. Many (most?) clerkships just don't have vacation time, and the expectation is that you will work every day for the year, perhaps with the exception of a long weekend or two for significant events like a wedding or a funeral.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:17 pm
I agree with asking former clerks about the best way to raise something like this with the judge. Depending on just how elective the surgery is, some judges would likely be very understanding while others would be annoyed. Many (most?) clerkships just don't have vacation time, and the expectation is that you will work every day for the year, perhaps with the exception of a long weekend or two for significant events like a wedding or a funeral.
I agree with asking, but would respond that, anecdotally, I have literally never heard of a judge that DOESN'T offer some form of vacation time. So your mileage, obviously, will vary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”