How do you stay motivated? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How do you stay motivated?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:34 pm

How do you stay motivated if, like me, you're nearing the end of a clerkship with another clerkship lined up next, and you've realized you don't really like clerking? My judge is happy with my work and doesn't press on me to work harder/faster, but it's a real struggle to get work out, and I feel like my pace is slipping (from slow to really slow).

I appreciate that I'm taking an opportunity from someone else and already feel bad about it. Just wondering if anyone has advice to light a fire under my butt.

Anonymous User

Re: How do you stay motivated?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:37 pm

View yourself as being in competition with your co-clerks and imagine that they are all judging you and drawing unfavorable conclusions about your competence and work ethic based on how slow you are.

Anonymous User

Re: How do you stay motivated?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:36 am

And remember that these are actual parties waiting for you to resolve their matters.

Seriously, though: I motivated myself in the exact same position by remembering how often I pestered my predecessors after they moved on, because they left so much stuff for me to do. Finishing more stuff --> less stuff I'm "connected with" for the people after me --> I can move on and never have to think about these things again.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”