Let’s Talk Federal Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawschoolkid0122

New

Let’s Talk Federal Circuit!

Post by lawschoolkid0122 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:27 pm

Figured I’d start a thread for the oft-neglected Federal Circuit. Just submitted my applications, for either ‘23 or ‘24 (or whenever they’ll take me!). Anyone have any insight into the hiring process, hiring season, etc? I know the hiring process at CAFC is particularly opaque.

Anonymous User

Re: Let’s Talk Federal Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:23 pm

Should network with former CAFC clerks and express interests in clerking for CAFC judges, the former clerks recommend candidates to the CAFC judges. The CAFC circle is really small.

lawschoolkid0122

New

Post by lawschoolkid0122 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:31 pm

A more narrow question for the CAFC applicants among us: in general, how long did it take between submitting applications and receiving interviews? Would appreciate some anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:55 am

Have two classmates who are going to be clerking on the Federal Circuit. Both got interviews relatively soon after applying (one also applied to the judge the other is going to clerk for and didn't hear back from that judge at all). One is clerking this year but the other (who got the clerkship first) isn't clerking until 2025.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:45 pm

The only active judge with a predictable hiring schedule is Taranto, who generally waits until the Plan date to hire and generally hires clerks straight out of law school. He's the most school-/grade-selective, but he does hire outside the T14 occasionally.

Because the rest of the judges require or prefer experience, they generally hire all year round or unpredictably. That is particularly true for the judges who have 18-month terms (e.g., Moore, Stoll, Prost) and the judges who have 12-month terms with spring start dates (e.g., Chen). Dyk has one-year terms and swaps everybody out in the fall, so that might make things a little bit more predictable. Assuming Cunningham will do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:45 pm
The only active judge with a predictable hiring schedule is Taranto, who generally waits until the Plan date to hire and generally hires clerks straight out of law school. He's the most school-/grade-selective, but he does hire outside the T14 occasionally.

Because the rest of the judges require or prefer experience, they generally hire all year round or unpredictably. That is particularly true for the judges who have 18-month terms (e.g., Moore, Stoll, Prost) and the judges who have 12-month terms with spring start dates (e.g., Chen). Dyk has one-year terms and swaps everybody out in the fall, so that might make things a little bit more predictable. Assuming Cunningham will do the same.
I very much appreciate the insight. After how long of waiting after submitting an application (non-Taranto judges) would you give up hope that you’re still in the running? I’ve heard some of the CAFC judges can take 2-3 months before they reach out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 01, 2022 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:45 pm

I very much appreciate the insight. After how long of waiting after submitting an application (non-Taranto judges) would you give up hope that you’re still in the running? I’ve heard some of the CAFC judges can take 2-3 months before they reach out
Friendly bump, if anyone is out there...when should I abandon hope?

mistressfancy

New

Post by mistressfancy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:12 pm

Hey, did you ever hear back? I'm hoping for some insight into possible timelines as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 pm

For the one and only interview I’ve had at the Federal Circuit, chambers reached out 6 months after I first submitted my app. So it can take a while. Hoping it won’t take that long to hear back on my outstanding apps!

mistressfancy

New

Post by mistressfancy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:27 pm

My god, that's really long. I'm getting anxious over here and it's only been a month :(
Hopefully we both hear some good news soon

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”