Letter of Rec or Reference from Judge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Letter of Rec or Reference from Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 am

How long into a clerkship before it's appropriate to ask your judge to write you a letter of recommendation or be a reference for other clerkship applications? I have a D.Ct clerkship starting around now and am I'm hoping to apply for 2023-2024 COA. I know a lot of judges have already finished hiring, but others are hiring this Spring/Summer. Is it inappropriate to ask a judge for whom you're currently clerking to write a letter of recommendation or act as a reference for you? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Letter of Rec or Reference from Judge

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 am
How long into a clerkship before it's appropriate to ask your judge to write you a letter of recommendation or be a reference for other clerkship applications? I have a D.Ct clerkship starting around now and am I'm hoping to apply for 2023-2024 COA. I know a lot of judges have already finished hiring, but others are hiring this Spring/Summer. Is it inappropriate to ask a judge for whom you're currently clerking to write a letter of recommendation or act as a reference for you? Thanks in advance!
Definitely not inappropriate to ask mid-clerkship. I asked for a rec about 5 months in. You just have to balance waiting long enough that the judge actually knows your work and feels comfortable writing positively about it with not waiting so long that a lot of hires are made before you get your app together.

Personally, I would have felt uncomfortable to make that ask while still figuring out how the job works and before having a few opinions out the door. I'd think ~3 months might be the lower limit for a full rec but it also probably depends by judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Agreed with the above. It’s totally fine to ask a judge you’re currently clerking for, just best to have enough work built up they have something to go on. I was able to use my judge as a reference about 3 months in (but that was also dictated by an external job deadline, which made it a little easier to bring up).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Amazing! Thank you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”