Have to Ask Firm for Permission to Use Writing Sample? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Have to Ask Firm for Permission to Use Writing Sample?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am

First-year associate applying for district court clerkships. I want to use a research memo I wrote at the firm as a writing sample. If I redact all client information (there isn't much and I believe the matter has closed anyways), do I have to ask my firm for permission to use the writing sample? I don't really want my firm knowing I am applying to clerkships. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Have to Ask Firm for Permission to Use Writing Sample?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 am
First-year associate applying for district court clerkships. I want to use a research memo I wrote at the firm as a writing sample. If I redact all client information (there isn't much and I believe the matter has closed anyways), do I have to ask my firm for permission to use the writing sample? I don't really want my firm knowing I am applying to clerkships. Thanks!
Yes? And if you are this concerned, just use another writing sample. If you somehow went through law school without more than 1 quality piece of writing, a clerkship may not be for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes? And if you are this concerned, just use another writing sample. If you somehow went through law school without more than 1 quality piece of writing, a clerkship may not be for you.
Why answer this question if you're going to be a jerk about it? And then hide behind anon?

shoebox

New

Post by shoebox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, you would certainly need permission to use a privileged, confidential memo. Better to use something from law school or a publicly filed motion you can take credit for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”