Best time to apply as a 3L? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Best time to apply as a 3L?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:06 pm

Hi all, quick question. I’m a 3L who has a dct clerkship lined up for after graduation—when should I plan on putting in COA applications for subsequent years? One of my recommenders is insisting that we move now, and others are more wary. Do people have a sense of when 3Ls and alums normally apply? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Best time to apply as a 3L?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:58 pm

Probably now tbh, but I'd talk to your clerkship committee/office if they're competent, and if not your most plugged-in prof

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 am

didn't the plan kick off several months ago?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:39 am

Re the plan kicking off--I don't believe that 3Ls are on the plan, and it seems judges don't really start caring about applications until earliest January, but I, like op, am curious to know what the best time to apply would be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:44 am

Now would be the best time, and tomorrow would be the second-best time, unless you're a HYS magna, in which case you might have the luxury of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:53 am

Original OP here. Don't know if the last post was meant to be facetious, but I am indeed a HYS magna (or its equivalent). Don't know if that changes the timing element at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:39 am
Re the plan kicking off--I don't believe that 3Ls are on the plan, and it seems judges don't really start caring about applications until earliest January, but I, like op, am curious to know what the best time to apply would be.
sorry, what I meant was - the plan kicked off for *rising* 3Ls in July or w/e, right? OP is a 3L now, going into his/her final semester. so the ideal time for him/her to apply was 6 mo's ago, no? that's when on-plan judges were kicking off interviews and OP's peers were interviewing

OP, assuming I am correct (which I'm pretty sure I am) - you can/should apply now but a lot of stuff will have filled, so keep checking OSCAR etc and know that you may have to be patient for on-plan folks, since the "season" has sort of come and gone; next big batch would be spring/summer 2022

for off-plan judges, it's sort of a free for all and FedSoc would know best for conservatives, but I assume an HYS FedSoc person would be clued into those
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:53 am
Original OP here. Don't know if the last post was meant to be facetious, but I am indeed a HYS magna (or its equivalent). Don't know if that changes the timing element at all.
In that case, apply as soon as you can, but a 3L anywhere else would be running behind schedule if they applied today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:14 am

Original OP here. Sorry, I should have been more clarificatory. I'm a 3L who did submit applications in the summer, have a DCT clerkship, but struck out with COAs with 3-4 interviews (very good ones that I would have happily accepted). Applying for the second round again, so wondering what the best time is to apply for this second round of applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”