Reaching out via LinkedIn Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reaching out via LinkedIn

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Is it appropriate to reach out to a judge's former law clerks on LinkedIn before applying to the judge? There are one or two circuit court judges that I particularly want to clerk for due to strong geographic/ personal reasons (spouse getting a job in a new city). My T50 school has no connection to the these judges. I have a clerkship lined up for a district court in the same circuit but different state (e.g., I think my situation is similar to someone going for a CA6 clerkship in Detroit after securing a clerkship in N.D. Ohio.). Any recommendations for putting my best foot forward?

Anonymous User

Re: Reaching out via LinkedIn

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:23 pm

I was in your exact position, cold-emailed on Linkedin, and got the clerkship, which I found out later I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:23 pm
I was in your exact position, cold-emailed on Linkedin, and got the clerkship, which I found out later I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.
Did you reach out before you applied or before you interviewed? What insight did they give you that gave you the edge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:54 pm

I reached out before applying, and they hand-carried a printout of my application to the Judge. I didn't get any insight other than their personal recommendation. That sort of treatment is unusual, but worth trying for. At bottom, no one will be offended by your inquiry. Most people like talking about their Judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:12 pm
Is it appropriate to reach out to a judge's former law clerks on LinkedIn before applying to the judge? There are one or two circuit court judges that I particularly want to clerk for due to strong geographic/ personal reasons (spouse getting a job in a new city). My T50 school has no connection to the these judges. I have a clerkship lined up for a district court in the same circuit but different state (e.g., I think my situation is similar to someone going for a CA6 clerkship in Detroit after securing a clerkship in N.D. Ohio.). Any recommendations for putting my best foot forward?
Former law clerks? Go for it, I spoke with former clerks and future clerks before I was hired, and it was very helpful. Just don't reach out to the current ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:38 pm

I would prefer to have a connection (school, undergrad, etc.) with someone reaching out, but it's not required. I probably would not hand deliver an app to my former judge unless I actually met the applicant in person and talked for an hour or more. I suspect many clerks are equally protective/guarding their reputation with his or her judge. Even so, I don't see a downside.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm

I think reaching out via email is more appropriate than LinkedIn (and also people check email more often than LinkedIn). I would try to find where they currently work via LinkedIn and then search for their work email via the firm's website and email them there.

johndonne

New

Post by johndonne » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Former law clerks? Go for it, I spoke with former clerks and future clerks before I was hired, and it was very helpful. Just don't reach out to the current ones.
Out of curiosity, is there a rule (spoken or unspoken) against reaching out to current clerks? I actually reached out to a current clerk who was an alum of my school, and it worked out well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon who responded first: I reached out to current clerks and that's exactly how I got my clerkship. So I don't think it's universally viewed as inappropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:04 pm

Yea. I am at a d.ct. and I would not be offended/ think it is inappropriate to reach out to me - to ask about my experience and Judge.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:34 pm

I feel like reaching out to current clerks is one of those things that most people won’t care about, but those who do care, can care a lot. I think I spoke to at least one potential applicant to my judge while I was clerking, but I also feel like I had the least restrictive/caught up in “appropriateness” version of clerking experience.

(For instance, some people say you should never use something you wrote during a clerkship as a writing sample for job applications, because it’s not written under your name and it destroys the fiction that everything that comes out of chambers is the product of the judge. I used such a sample and my judge was fine with it and the places I applied to were fine with it, but after the fact I have run into former clerks who find the idea horrifying.)

So I think that in reaching out to current clerks, there is a risk that they/their judge will find it inappropriate; the question is whether that risk is great enough to outweigh the benefit of talking to a current clerk. To me it would depend on whether you locate other non-current clerks and get enough info from them. (But again, personally, being reached out to as a current clerk was fine.)

(I also don’t think any of this applies if you actually already know the person clerking, like they’re a friend of yours.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”