SCOTUS Application Timing Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SCOTUS Application Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:00 pm

I'm an HYS grad with marginal SCOTUS odds (law review, very good but not perfect grades). I have a circuit clerkship that I'm doing now with a judge who has never had a clerk go on to clerk for the supreme court but who is relatively young, and an upcoming district court clerkship with a handful of clerks they have had go on to clerk for the supreme court.

When do you apply? Is it better to apply soon (not even sure exactly when you are supposed to apply), and try again next year if I don't get it? Or better to wait and try all at once next year with a full year with the circuit judge and some time with the district judge as well?

Anonymous User

Re: SCOTUS Application Timing

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:00 pm
I'm an HYS grad with marginal SCOTUS odds (law review, very good but not perfect grades). I have a circuit clerkship that I'm doing now with a judge who has never had a clerk go on to clerk for the supreme court but who is relatively young, and an upcoming district court clerkship with a handful of clerks they have had go on to clerk for the supreme court.

When do you apply? Is it better to apply soon (not even sure exactly when you are supposed to apply), and try again next year if I don't get it? Or better to wait and try all at once next year with a full year with the circuit judge and some time with the district judge as well?
My guess is unless you are applying to Kavanaugh, you're going to need time with your district judge (and circuit judge) to get the glowing recommendation that is de facto mandatory.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”