Applying on Oscar to start on a different date than advertised Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying on Oscar to start on a different date than advertised

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi. Is there any harm in applying to clerk for a judge for a different start date/year than advertised on Oscar? For example, if the Judge is hiring for October 2022–but I’m available to start clerking on February 2023–should I chance an application, or just wait until the judge starts hiring for the 2023 term?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying on Oscar to start on a different date than advertised

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:45 pm

the worst that could happen is that the reviewer immediately ignores your application

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:20 pm

Thanks. I understand February is a rather unusual time to clerk; the hope is that the judge I’m applying to may be open to consider an early-2023 start in lieu of an October 2022 start

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:51 pm

There are judges who do staggered start dates, mainly appellate. So definitely apply to those. But if you're going to apply to the normal schedule, just be REALLY blindingly clear that you are asking for a different start date (in your cover letter). Otherwise, even if the clerk likes you, they'll be extremely annoyed if they have to find out you're not a fit only after reading your materials.

Overall, I can't imagine 99+% of judges would be willing to accept the risk of an empty clerk desk for six months before, and six months after, your clerkship. But yes, you have little downside as long as you're completely up-front.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”