Is a third clerkship too many if it's a federal court? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ainterone

New

Is a third clerkship too many if it's a federal court?

Post by ainterone » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:36 pm

I'm a recent grad who is clerking at my state's intermediate appellate court. I have a second two-year clerkship at another state's supreme court in a market I want to practice in. I'm thinking about a third clerkship with a federal district court in that market in 2024. The conventional wisdom here is generally to clerk for no more than a couple of years, but I wondered if a district court would still be worth it.

I'm concerned that firms won't like that much time clerking, and I wonder if it would affect my chances for bonuses and associate-year credit. It would mean a total of four years without actually practicing law before joining a firm. On other hand, I would genuinely want that position to learn about trial and practical writing that I don't get to see on appeal. And the starting salary for federal clerkships after a few years of bar membership would be a nice bump from my state salary.

Assuming I could get it, would it still be worth it in terms of career earning potential, prestige, and starting firm offers? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Is a third clerkship too many if it's a federal court?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 pm

This is a very complicated answer and it depends a lot on your goals. I clerked on three courts (SSC/Dist./COA) so I am not averse to the concept.

If you're already clerking for two years on the state supreme court of the state you want to practice in, I don't think an additional clerkship will give you a big leg up, even if federal, and three clerkships over four years may brand you as an academic type rather than a biglaw type. That said, if you want to leave the state eventually, a district clerkship will open doors for you in other state, so it may be worthwhile.

Tl;dr: If you want to do biglaw or similar litigation in the state you're a SSC clerk in, definitely skip federal court. Spend your second year using your Justices as resources to get a great job in your state. Otherwise, more details might help us.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”