Parental leave/pregnancy during district clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
clementine343

New

Parental leave/pregnancy during district clerkship

Post by clementine343 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Looking for anyone who has experience with either having a baby or being the partner of someone who had a baby during a one-year federal clerkship. I'm preparing to tell my judge that I am expecting and would love any insight from those who have already navigated this situation. I am already aware that, as far as I understand, I am not entitled to any leave benefits or job protection. Thanks in advance!

Leif Erikson

New

Re: Parental leave/pregnancy during district clerkship

Post by Leif Erikson » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:35 pm

clementine343 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Looking for anyone who has experience with either having a baby or being the partner of someone who had a baby during a one-year federal clerkship. I'm preparing to tell my judge that I am expecting and would love any insight from those who have already navigated this situation. I am already aware that, as far as I understand, I am not entitled to any leave benefits or job protection. Thanks in advance!
Congratulations! I have no first-hand experience but I know of clerks who've been pregnant/given birth while clerking. Sometimes, their judges have hired a temporary law clerk; other times, I've heard of a particularly productive co-clerk handling all of the work while their co-clerk was on leave. Since you're at the district court level, I'm assuming you have one, maybe two, co-clerks?

Depending on your relationship with your judge, I'd go to them and offer some plan of action, e.g., I'm due on X date and anticipate needing Y amount of time on leave. I think your judge's response (i.e., whether to hire a temporary law clerk or just have your co-clerk(s) handle the work) will come down to where you are in your clerkship. If you just started recently, your judge might be more inclined to hire a temporary law clerk, for instance.

What's your relationship like with the JA? If you can trust them, I would ask them how to proceed.

Congrats again (both on the clerkship and your pregnancy)

clementine343

New

Post by clementine343 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Leif Erikson wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:35 pm
clementine343 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Congratulations! I have no first-hand experience but I know of clerks who've been pregnant/given birth while clerking. Sometimes, their judges have hired a temporary law clerk; other times, I've heard of a particularly productive co-clerk handling all of the work while their co-clerk was on leave. Since you're at the district court level, I'm assuming you have one, maybe two, co-clerks?

Depending on your relationship with your judge, I'd go to them and offer some plan of action, e.g., I'm due on X date and anticipate needing Y amount of time on leave. I think your judge's response (i.e., whether to hire a temporary law clerk or just have your co-clerk(s) handle the work) will come down to where you are in your clerkship. If you just started recently, your judge might be more inclined to hire a temporary law clerk, for instance.

What's your relationship like with the JA? If you can trust them, I would ask them how to proceed.

Congrats again (both on the clerkship and your pregnancy)
Thank you for such an encouraging response! I have a two fantastic co-clerks, and it is generally a very supportive chambers. Approaching our JA first is a great idea, and will hopefully calm my nerves a bit before approaching my judge!

clementine343

New

Post by clementine343 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:57 am

Thought I should provide an update in case any women come across this post in the future. I received an overall positive response from my judge, who expressed that there is likely a way for someone to fill in for me while I take some leave. I may also be able to extend my end date to make up for any leave taken. Please feel free to PM me if this is a situation you find yourself in, and I am happy to share more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:26 am

clementine343 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:57 am
Thought I should provide an update in case any women come across this post in the future. I received an overall positive response from my judge, who expressed that there is likely a way for someone to fill in for me while I take some leave. I may also be able to extend my end date to make up for any leave taken. Please feel free to PM me if this is a situation you find yourself in, and I am happy to share more.
That's great! A clerk on EDNY with me was in your position and she found a friend who filled in for her during her leave. (Found the article: https://abovethelaw.com/2018/07/revolut ... clerkship/) So people have done it and I have tremendous respect for those doing it because a lot of judges are still insane about leaves and the only way the culture will change is to show that the world won't fall apart if someone takes a leave. Thanks for being on the forefront!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”