Hearing Back Timeline Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Hearing Back Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Does anyone have insight into whether it is appropriate to ask about the timeline for hearing back in a clerkship interview if you have another pending offer that is expiring?

Anonymous User

Re: Hearing Back Timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm
Does anyone have insight into whether it is appropriate to ask about the timeline for hearing back in a clerkship interview if you have another pending offer that is expiring?
You should let chambers know that you have another offer that is set to expire. I wouldn't phrase it like "when will you get back to me?" Instead, I would say something like "I really enjoyed interviewing with Judge XX, just to let you know, I have an offer with Judge YY set to expire on DATE." Essentially, let them know you have an expiring offer, don't just ask about the timeline.

j01

New

Post by j01 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:51 pm

You would also benefit from explicitly telling the judge that he's your first choice, which is why you're asking. Everyone appreciates flattery.

Edit: Assuming that is true.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:15 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm
You should let chambers know that you have another offer that is set to expire. I wouldn't phrase it like "when will you get back to me?" Instead, I would say something like "I really enjoyed interviewing with Judge XX, just to let you know, I have an offer with Judge YY set to expire on DATE." Essentially, let them know you have an expiring offer, don't just ask about the timeline.
Yes, agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”