Future Clerkship Scheduling Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Future Clerkship Scheduling

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 am

When is an appropriate time to start reaching out and scheduling your start date (approx. Aug 2022)? Or when would you expect to hear from chambers about your start date?

I'm starting a clerkship in another city and have to move with my partner and dog et al., so it's going to require a significant amount of preparation.

I don't want to seem like a psycho so wasn't imagining *this* early, but when's the earliest I could check next year?

Anonymous User

Re: Future Clerkship Scheduling

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 am
When is an appropriate time to start reaching out and scheduling your start date (approx. Aug 2022)? Or when would you expect to hear from chambers about your start date?

I'm starting a clerkship in another city and have to move with my partner and dog et al., so it's going to require a significant amount of preparation.

I don't want to seem like a psycho so wasn't imagining *this* early, but when's the earliest I could check next year?
You can reach out whenever you want/need, but, assuming there are staggered start dates, chambers might not have even figured out your start date yet. When I clerked at the district-court level, I didn't hear about my August start date until sometime in spring.

Essentially, reach out whenever you want. If they don't know yet, hopefully you'll still get a sense of timing of when you will know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:09 pm

I think I reached out around April before starting in the fall, because I needed an offer letter to show apartments proof of income, and no one had any issue with that. But I don’t think we worked out anything much more specific than the month at that point - it often depends on what the departing clerk is doing so you may just coordinate with that person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks! Concluding my current clerkship, moving, and starting a new clerkship in coordination with incoming and outgoing clerks in both chambers is turning out to be a fairly complicated proposition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”