Any info on WD Va or ED Tenn distict judges? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Altair

New

Any info on WD Va or ED Tenn distict judges?

Post by Altair » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Including senior judges? Those two districts would be good for me for family reasons, but I know nothing about the judges there or, in general, what clerking in those districts is like. Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Any info on WD Va or ED Tenn distict judges?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:40 pm

Can’t speak for all chambers, but the chambers I was in a few years back was extremely familial. Very small areas and so tend to be tighter knit. That’s my impression at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:42 pm

WD Va is definitely a slower-paced district. You won't be handling much high-powered litigation, but you'll probably also get to work 9-5 (or less) and won't have a ton of stress. Like any clerkship, your experience may vary wildly depending on the judge, but in general the judges and staff are much more polite and friendly than your typical district. It's a big district and you may get to travel around to the different courthouses and get familiar with small-town and rural Virginia if that's something that is at all appealing - it is a beautiful part of the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:09 am

I clerked on the WDVA, and it was definitely NOT a 9-to-5-or-less kind of job. I worked a lot. But I agree with the previous poster about the the court being friendly, tight-knit, etc. Very good judges, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:21 pm

All the WDVA judges are good from what I've seen. It is more than a 9-5 job, but it's not biglaw. YMMV by division and the number of vacancies at any given time, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”