Thoughts on a non-professor writing a recommendation letter? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Thoughts on a non-professor writing a recommendation letter?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 pm

I worked on a pro bono appeal after my internship this summer for a solo practitioner and was thinking of asking him to write me a letter of rec. I don't have close relationships with many professors and was wondering how this would be perceived for clerkship applications? I am roughly median at CCN and will be applying broadly across districts. Since my grades are pretty low, will this hurt me further?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Thoughts on a non-professor writing a recommendation letter?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 pm

Seems like a way to double down on having middling grades, yeah.

howdy96

New

Post by howdy96 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:15 am

Some judges actually do prefer to get at least one recommendation from a former employer. I got one from a partner I worked with during my first summer and it ended up being a huge factor for me. It’s also a good way to strengthen your application for judges who slightly prefer work experience if you don’t have any/much. Just make sure it’s someone whose opinion judges would care about and that they would write a compelling letter.

Edit: also close to median at CCN, not fed soc, still got one. Apply broadly and work your connections (home town/state, professional contacts/practice interests in common, etc.)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 pm

If this person is going to write a strong letter, I'd recommend using him. A strong letter from an attorney is much better than a lukewarm letter from a professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”