Can a judge write a letter of recommendation? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Can a judge write a letter of recommendation?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Basically what the title says. I've taken a couple of classes with an Art. III judge—would he be allowed to write me a letter? I don't want to ask if there's no point.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Re: Can a judge write a letter of recommendation?

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm

Can he? Sure, why not, no rule against it to my knowledge. Will he? Ehh. Just ask, but I will say that I don't think I ever saw a letter from a judge in an application packet despite reviewing lots of apps that either had prior clerkships, internships, or classes with a judge. Much more common is to have ordinary profs do the letters, and ask if the Judge is willing to be listed as a reference or to make a call on your behalf.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Got it, thanks. I think I'll just ask and if no, will scramble to find another professor.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:52 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm
Can he? Sure, why not, no rule against it to my knowledge. Will he? Ehh. Just ask, but I will say that I don't think I ever saw a letter from a judge in an application packet despite reviewing lots of apps that either had prior clerkships, internships, or classes with a judge. Much more common is to have ordinary profs do the letters, and ask if the Judge is willing to be listed as a reference or to make a call on your behalf.
My D. Ct. judge wrote me a LOR. But I clerked for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”