. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:33 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Transactional position post SDNY clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 pm

I was hired this year for a corporate position after D.Ct/COA on the West Coast. I hadn't done corporate work as a summer associate, but I had a story about why I wanted to switch. I found that corporate folks didn't question my interest, and I ended up with a corporate position at a tech-focused California firm (which is what I wanted). I can't speak specifically to NYC, but if the demand keeps up for corporate work I don't think you'll have any issue landing a corporate position.

Joachim2017

Bronze

Re: Transactional position post SDNY clerkship?

Post by Joachim2017 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:19 pm

With those credentials, you will not have difficulty unless there's some unusual commitment or allocation decisions made at the firm already, with some prior assumption in place about where you'd be returning.

It was not unusual, and in fact, many of the older partners at prestigious white-shoe firms (DPW, S&C) did clerk before moving to a transactional practice. They won't have trouble seeing either why you chose to clerk or why you're choosing to go into the transactional rather than litigation space, if you decide to explore other top firms.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”