Non-Lawyer Recommender Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Non-Lawyer Recommender

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:11 pm

I am considering who to choose for my recommenders, and I am wondering whether I can use a law professor who never attended law school. If the professor had a law degree, I would have no qualms about asking them, as I have taken multiple classes and performed quite well. However, I am worried that not having a law degree or practicing law may hamper the effectiveness of the professor's recommendation.

nixy

Gold

Re: Non-Lawyer Recommender

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:27 pm

What subjects did they teach you and what were their qualifications? (For instance I knew of a prof who did essentially a doctorate in law in another country but didn’t do a JD.) If they’re teaching you classes on law in a law school I’m sure they’re fine as a recommender. They’re going to be talking about your academic ability, which is what they assess when they grade you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:37 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:27 pm
What subjects did they teach you and what were their qualifications? (For instance I knew of a prof who did essentially a doctorate in law in another country but didn’t do a JD.) If they’re teaching you classes on law in a law school I’m sure they’re fine as a recommender. They’re going to be talking about your academic ability, which is what they assess when they grade you.
Both classes were seminars on pretty serious legal issues. Both were focused on academic literature and didn't involve reading many (or any) cases. The prof has top-notch qualifications, aside from not having a law degree.

Also, FWIW, I am gunning for a top feeder/SCOTUS gig. I am unsure of whether that will factor into the calculus at all.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm

I can’t imagine there would be any issue with using this person as a recommender. They’re teaching in a law school (probably a top school if you’re a potential SCOTUS candidate) and are eminently qualified (I’m assuming this probably means they have a PhD in a relevant field but no JD, though not asking you to confirm that). But if you want a more authoritative answer (I was never competitive for top feeders/SCOTUS), ask one of your other recommenders or your clerkship office.

(To be frank, I’m not sure anyone would even realize that your prof doesn’t have a JD; I’d think judges would just look at the letter and say, letter from a prof, cool, without checking further. If the recommender is prominent enough that people in legal circles know their name, I can’t imagine the lack of JD would be an issue. But again, ask someone from your school if you’re still concerned.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:44 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm
I can’t imagine there would be any issue with using this person as a recommender. They’re teaching in a law school (probably a top school if you’re a potential SCOTUS candidate) and are eminently qualified (I’m assuming this probably means they have a PhD in a relevant field but no JD, though not asking you to confirm that). But if you want a more authoritative answer (I was never competitive for top feeders/SCOTUS), ask one of your other recommenders or your clerkship office.

(To be frank, I’m not sure anyone would even realize that your prof doesn’t have a JD; I’d think judges would just look at the letter and say, letter from a prof, cool, without checking further. If the recommender is prominent enough that people in legal circles know their name, I can’t imagine the lack of JD would be an issue. But again, ask someone from your school if you’re still concerned.)
Sounds good. I appreciate the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah I can’t imagine anyone turning up their nose at like Martha Nussbaum because she’s a law prof without a JD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:37 pm
nixy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:27 pm
Both classes were seminars on pretty serious legal issues. Both were focused on academic literature and didn't involve reading many (or any) cases. The prof has top-notch qualifications, aside from not having a law degree.

Also, FWIW, I am gunning for a top feeder/SCOTUS gig. I am unsure of whether that will factor into the calculus at all.
You should be fine, but you may want to check with your clerkship office about your recommenders. They would know more, and if you are in SCOTUS range, they should be placing you in contact with the right people too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:39 pm

When I clerked (for a semi-feeder on CA2/9), I never once considered whether an applicant's recommender had a JD. As long as the recommender is an actual professor at your school and the classes you took were sufficiently rigorous, I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”