Non-Biglaw Post Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
arsenicoldgrace

New

Non-Biglaw Post Clerkship

Post by arsenicoldgrace » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:53 pm

I still have a while to go in my clerkship (non-prestigious but relatively busy federal district), but I'm starting to think about post-clerkship jobs. I've already done a summer associate stint in biglaw and very much didn't like it. So I don't really have an interest in pursuing something like that. I'd be aiming to be in a job that throws me into court right away because that's what I find most interesting by far.

Given that, I'm thinking prosecution or state AG and eventually trying for AUSA. But was interested to see what other opportunities might be out there that people have either done or know of where I'd be getting court experience almost immediately. I don't know if lit boutiques usually afford that kind of experience, but that's another thing I've thought of. Just want to make sure I'm not closing any doors that I didn't even know existed. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Non-Biglaw Post Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:25 pm

Lots of firms in small markets go to trial a lot more than biglaw firms (especially for the number of lawyers) and some pay quite well. Being a PD is obviously another option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:57 pm

With a district court clerkship, decent school/grades, and if you interview pretty well, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could go straight to being an AUSA, particularly in one of the offices that is historically less competitive (relatively speaking, at least). I've known a few people that were able to do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:06 pm

I don’t know how JAG works but it’s another option

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”