Post-clerkship hiring question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-clerkship hiring question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 pm

I'm a 2020 graduate about to start a District Court clerkship in the market I want to practice in long-term (which is also my hometown). The market is notoriously insular and I went to undergrad and to a T6 law school out-of-state. Because I knew I wanted to return, I spent both law school summers in the market--one at a non-profit and the other at one of the two "best" big law firms in the city. But I didn't come back for my first year out of law school because I got offered a great fellowship in DC working on public interest litigation. Since I didn't go back to the firm, I'm concerned that I may have burned the only real pre-existing bridge I had to the legal community in this market (the place I spent my 1L summer is wonderful but tiny and almost never has open positions). After I finish this clerkship, I'll be moving out of state again for a Circuit Court clerkship in, unfortunately, a different circuit.

I'm concerned about what the post-clerkship job search will be like since the market is pretty insular (dominated by the local school and T14 grads tend to have a hard time getting positions at BL firms other than the one I summered at) and I'll be going out of state again. So, what can I do during this first clerkship to put me in the best position to apply for jobs in this market during my next clerkship? What can I do this year to make the next cycle's process as painless as possible? I know that firms usually have recruiting receptions for clerks, but is it cool to attend those when you know you won't be available for another year, and is that even an option in light of covid?

Any suggestions for concrete steps I can take to prepare while I'm still here would be greatly appreciated.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Post-clerkship hiring question

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:35 pm

What's your goal? Are you trying to go back to one of the biglaw firms? Are you trying to do public interest work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 am

OP here. Ideally PI, but student debt may mean I'll have to do BL for a little while.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 pm

I'm concerned about what the post-clerkship job search will be like since the market is pretty insular (dominated by the local school and T14 grads tend to have a hard time getting positions at BL firms other than the one I summered at) and I'll be going out of state again. So, what can I do during this first clerkship to put me in the best position to apply for jobs in this market during my next clerkship? What can I do this year to make the next cycle's process as painless as possible? I know that firms usually have recruiting receptions for clerks, but is it cool to attend those when you know you won't be available for another year, and is that even an option in light of covid?

Any suggestions for concrete steps I can take to prepare while I'm still here would be greatly appreciated.
You're overthinking this.

In two years, you will be a double fed clerk, with experience and demonstrated ties in your target market. That your appellate clerkship came from an outside circuit is not going to be a dealbreaker or even a negative point for any legal employer anywhere.

As for what you can do now -- be active in the local chapter of the federal bar association and network. You will inevitably connect with lawyers working at the employers you'd like to come back to. After you develop a basic rapport, inform them that you'll be doing a circuit clerkship and ask for advice, etc. Stay in touch with them. When the job hunt begins, they will remember you and either be able to put in a good word at their employer or maybe they will know of other places in the market that are hiring.

Again, I think you will be just fine. Focus on digging into your district court clerkship and soak up every bit you can learn from your judge and co-clerk(s).

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:11 am
OP here. Ideally PI, but student debt may mean I'll have to do BL for a little while.
I'd agree with Fireworks that networking is key. If BL is what you have to do, keep up with people at your old BL firm and try to connect with people at the other BL firm in town. With your credentials and clerkships, I doubt they wouldn't be interested even if you didn't network much, but if you can build relationships, it'll be that much easier. I'd do the same thing with people who work in PI in the area.

I'd also say that if you do go to BL, I'd try to find opportunities to volunteer with or work pro bono on cases with the PI group or groups that most interest you in the area. That'll give you the best chance of lateraling there when you can afford it and when they have an opening. That's obviously an issue for the future, though.

Additionally, the insularity of the market is actually a benefit to you. You will have had a federal clerkship there and grew up there. It always helps to be able to answer the infamous "where did you go to high school" question haha. And yes, I think it's fine to attend the firms' recruiting receptions if they have them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”