Wilkinson profs? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Wilkinson profs?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:54 pm

Looks like most of his hires ex-UVA are through recs from trusted profs. So which profs are known as trusted Wilkinson “gatekeepers”?

Anonymous User

Re: Wilkinson profs?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:18 pm

Most of his UVA hires are first in their class, so just be number one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 pm

Does Wilkinson ever hire outside the T14?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:30 pm
Let alone t-14, I doubt Wilkinson even hires outside of YHSC + UVA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:32 pm

*deleted*

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
He hasn't hired from Columbia in like 20 years FWIW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He hires from Chicago but pretty infrequently and usually highest honors (~#1)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Exactly the same with NYU.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:28 pm

I understand Wilkinson is a feeder, but man, his clerkship doesn't sound like a lot of fun. And I don't mean that he's a bad guy. From everything I've heard, he's a good boss. His clerks just have such a limited role in the process compared to other clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 am

lavarman84 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:28 pm
I understand Wilkinson is a feeder, but man, his clerkship doesn't sound like a lot of fun. And I don't mean that he's a bad guy. From everything I've heard, he's a good boss. His clerks just have such a limited role in the process compared to other clerkships.
Don't know where you are getting this from. His clerks draft bench memos and opinions just like 99% of other COA clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Lmao truly zero responses to OP’s original question

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:29 pm
Isn't this one of those "if you know, you know and if you don't, well..." type of things? If OP had the insane grades/credentials to be viable for such a clerkship, the powers that be at UVA would have already informed him of his chances? Especially since it seems like the school has a competent clerkship office, unlike some of its peers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Isn't this one of those "if you know, you know and if you don't, well..." type of things? If OP had the insane grades/credentials to be viable for such a clerkship, the powers that be at UVA would have already informed him of his chances? Especially since it seems like the school has a competent clerkship office, unlike some of its peers.
I'm OP. Not at UVA, therefore the "ex-UVA" comment. I mean I get the IYKYK response, but I think part of the point of communities like this is to help share info that's otherwise shadow-y and not totally grade-based (some hires happen during / after 1L fall!), especially to those whose communities / social circles are less steeped in the inside baseball knowledge that those familiar with the "game" and legal world in general are.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm OP. Not at UVA, therefore the "ex-UVA" comment. I mean I get the IYKYK response, but I think part of the point of communities like this is to help share info that's otherwise shadow-y and not totally grade-based (some hires happen during / after 1L fall!), especially to those whose communities / social circles are less steeped in the inside baseball knowledge that those familiar with the "game" and legal world in general are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The “game,” if you want to maximize your chances of clerking for Wilkinson, is go to one of the few schools he hires from, probably join and become a FedSoc Officer, and then get top grades, at least magna at Harvard, and probably #1 at UVA. Oh and have professors go to bat for you, but the above probably leads to the latter. I’m sure in his 20+ years on the bench there are exceptions, but that’s 95% of his hires.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 am
lavarman84 wrote:
Don't know where you are getting this from. His clerks draft bench memos and opinions just like 99% of other COA clerks?
Directly from a former clerk. Person said each clerk got to draft one opinion. That was it. I want to make clear that this person wasn't complaining about the clerkship. He/she spoke very highly of Wilkinson. Just shocked me to hear that (and how they did bench memos was quite different than the way it was done in other chambers, like the one I worked in).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:04 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 am
lavarman84 wrote:
Directly from a former clerk. Person said each clerk got to draft one opinion. That was it. I want to make clear that this person wasn't complaining about the clerkship. He/she spoke very highly of Wilkinson. Just shocked me to hear that (and how they did bench memos was quite different than the way it was done in other chambers, like the one I worked in).
On the other hand, not many other judges make their clerks run 3 miles every day with them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Eskridge at Yale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He's recently hired from Penn and Northwestern, for whatever that's worth. Penn clerk is now with Gorsuch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He's recently hired from Penn and Northwestern, for whatever that's worth. Penn clerk is now with Gorsuch.
Said Penn student was also #1 in his class and the FedSoc President, which matches the guide stated above for getting a Wilkinson clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The “game,” if you want to maximize your chances of clerking for Wilkinson, is go to one of the few schools he hires from, probably join and become a FedSoc Officer, and then get top grades, at least magna at Harvard, and probably #1 at UVA. Oh and have professors go to bat for you, but the above probably leads to the latter. I’m sure in his 20+ years on the bench there are exceptions, but that’s 95% of his hires.
At UVA you do not need to be a FedSoc officer or even a conservative. You need to be #1 or very close, and historically speaking, if you're #1 your odds are quite good. I suspect that being very liberal would hurt you a bit but Wilkinson is not a conservative ideologue in his hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:29 pm

To answer OP's question, Kendrick & Schwartzman would be a great start. Armacost too probably. Ruth Payne is somewhat polarizing but given that she personally clerked for him I have to imagine she'd be helpful. Bamzai would be great for any clerkship candidate to get to know.

At UVA at least he seems to hire without regard to ideology, so FedSoc isn't going to matter. If you are one of the top several students in the class and engage intelligently in office hours, etc. regardless of specific professors, the school's clerkship infrastructure will find you and send you his way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:29 pm
To answer OP's question, Kendrick & Schwartzman would be a great start. Armacost too probably. Ruth Payne is somewhat polarizing but given that she personally clerked for him I have to imagine she'd be helpful. Bamzai would be great for any clerkship candidate to get to know.

At UVA at least he seems to hire without regard to ideology, so FedSoc isn't going to matter. If you are one of the top several students in the class and engage intelligently in office hours, etc. regardless of specific professors, the school's clerkship infrastructure will find you and send you his way.
This is a good UVA list, though OP just stated they're not UVA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
At UVA you do not need to be a FedSoc officer or even a conservative. You need to be #1 or very close, and historically speaking, if you're #1 your odds are quite good. I suspect that being very liberal would hurt you a bit but Wilkinson is not a conservative ideologue in his hiring.
This.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:12 pm

Goldsmith at HLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”