Magistrate clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Magistrate clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:44 am

Hi all,

considering a fed MJ clerkship in Indiana/Ohio. What are prospects like for big law in Indiana/Ohio afterwards?

How does a fed MJ clerkship compare to state appellate court?

Thanks.

j01

New

Re: Magistrate clerkship

Post by j01 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:44 pm

Can't answer about Indiana/Ohio, but

In supreme court's state: SSC>FMJ
Outside supreme court's state: FMJ>/=SSC

username5101520

New

Post by username5101520 » Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 am

j01 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:44 pm

I disagree with this. I think
In SSC's state: FMJ>/=SSC
Outside: FMJ > SSC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 9:02 pm

username5101520 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 am
j01 wrote:

Probably depends on the specific judges and markets, but the second take here really isn’t consistent with my experience. I think in general SSC > FMJ either in state or out, unless the SSC is out of state and the FMJ is in.

username5101520

New

Post by username5101520 » Wed May 10, 2023 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:02 pm
username5101520 wrote:
j01 wrote:

Probably depends on the specific judges and markets, but the second take here really isn’t consistent with my experience. I think in general SSC > FMJ either in state or out, unless the SSC is out of state and the FMJ is in.
Well, what’s your experience? Because mine is having had both an SSC and FMJ clerkship, and I can tell you night and day in terms of resume value. Biglaw and ausa/fpd offices didn’t give a **** about SSC, but they loved the fmj.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 8:46 am

username5101520 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
username5101520 wrote:
j01 wrote:

Well, what’s your experience? Because mine is having had both an SSC and FMJ clerkship, and I can tell you night and day in terms of resume value. Biglaw and ausa/fpd offices didn’t give a **** about SSC, but they loved the fmj.
USAOs like SSC fine as evidence that you can write/research, but they like FMJ better because it's federal and they only practice in federal court. That's probably similarly the case for most biglaw firms, which I'm presuming appear in federal court way more than state court, if at all. But as the person you're responding to notes, that's complicated by specific facts/markets. Who your SSC justice was matters, who your FMJ was (and what you did with them, because that varies) matters, what job you're applying for matters. Giving any kind of absolute ranking is pretty much impossible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
username5101520 wrote:
j01 wrote:

My firm (a selective litigation boutique) hires SSC but not FMJ clerks, which is consistent with the typical practice of the other selective firms in my market. But my state has a highly-regarded SSC (it’s not CA or TX but the justices are all federal quality). I think the barrier to hiring FMJ clerks for us is that discovery dispute, pro se, and Social Security experience is not as helpful to our practice as a writing-intensive state court of last resort, and we also have a not-insignificant state appellate practice.

SSCs also seemed to be the preferred non-A3 option at my T6 law school. But your mileage may vary obviously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2023 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
username5101520 wrote:
j01 wrote:

My firm (a selective litigation boutique) hires SSC but not FMJ clerks, which is consistent with the typical practice of the other selective firms in my market. But my state has a highly-regarded SSC (it’s not CA or TX but the justices are all federal quality). I think the barrier to hiring FMJ clerks for us is that discovery dispute, pro se, and Social Security experience is not as helpful to our practice as a writing-intensive state court of last resort, and we also have a not-insignificant state appellate practice.

SSCs also seemed to be the preferred non-A3 option at my T6 law school. But your mileage may vary obviously.
Agreed. Depends on SSC. Well-regarded ones especially like CA or TX are, imo, better than some federal (non-comeptitive) district courts. In my allbeit short career, I've also noticed that it feels like state SSCs in states like CA or TX are becoming way more desirable and popular—maybe it is because of SCOTUS withdrawing on a lot of things and leaving state courts to pick up the slack. Wonder if anyone has noticed anything similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”