How much time between clerkship and job? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
j01

New

How much time between clerkship and job?

Post by j01 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:22 pm

Next year I'm wrapping up my third clerkship (SSC/District/COA) and I'd like to take as much time as I can before jumping into another marathon in biglaw.

First, what is a normal amount of time to take between a clerkship and starting work (specifically at a large law firm, which I imagine is slightly more flexible than other opportunities)?

Second, if I wrap up in mid-late August, is asking to start October 1 or even November 1 insane?

Anonymous User

Re: How much time between clerkship and job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 pm

Idk if there's a "normal" amount of time. I've heard of people taking a few weeks to a few months. Fwiw I will end COA in mid August and start in mid November. I got zero pushback.

Ask for what you want. If the firm has issues, someone will let you know.

Anonymous User

Re: How much time between clerkship and job?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 pm
Idk if there's a "normal" amount of time. I've heard of people taking a few weeks to a few months. Fwiw I will end COA in mid August and start in mid November. I got zero pushback.

Ask for what you want. If the firm has issues, someone will let you know.
TCR. It's negotiable, most people I know took ~1.5 months (move, vacation, set up in new city, start job). I know a few who had clerkships that ended in August and they started up next January. Just ask and act like it's normal. The firm will tell you if you're way out of pocket.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”