Too late for prof to call chambers? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Too late for prof to call chambers?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:33 am

I applied to a judge at the beginning of July, right after they posted an opening on oscar. The app window was less than two weeks in duration. I noticed recently that the app window has been extended until end of august. I can’t tell if they normally do rolling interviews or not. Is it worth it to ask a prof to call chambers on my behalf? They’ve already called once before for me. This judge is in my home state and I have the grades for the district. Thanks!

nixy

Gold

Re: Too late for prof to call chambers?

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:29 am

If the prof already called once, I see no point at all in having them call again. Only possible exception is maybe, just maybe, if they’re good friends with the judge and can ask the judge whether the search is still ongoing. But really, if the judge has heard from the prof already I don’t see what another call is going to accomplish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:36 am

Sorry to clarify. Prof called a different judge , where I ended up not getting an offer

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am

Oh, duh, that makes much more sense, sorry.

I don’t think it would *hurt* to have the prof call. They may have already put you in the “no” pile, but the extension may be due to other scheduling issues (it seems unlikely that it got extended because they literally couldn’t find anyone acceptable in the initial pool of applicants). I also don’t think it’s too much to ask of the prof, unless they’ve given you some reason to think they’d only make one call or only to that judge. If the prof knew the other judge personally but not this one, for instance, they might decline, but I don’t think it’s out of line to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am

I don’t think it would *hurt* to have the prof call. They may have already put you in the “no” pile, but the extension may be due to other scheduling issues (it seems unlikely that it got extended because they literally couldn’t find anyone acceptable in the initial pool of applicants). I also don’t think it’s too much to ask of the prof, unless they’ve given you some reason to think they’d only make one call or only to that judge. If the prof knew the other judge personally but not this one, for instance, they might decline, but I don’t think it’s out of line to ask.
Don't be surprised if that actually is the reason for the extension, especially if the term is a couple years away. During my term my judge had planned to finish hiring a clerk class by July, but didn't love any of the resumes in front of him when it got to be that time, so he decided to push things to the next winter and see if the batch of apps that always roll in after fall semester grades come out brought any "Wow!" candidates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm
nixy wrote:

Don't be surprised if that actually is the reason for the extension, especially if the term is a couple years away. During my term my judge had planned to finish hiring a clerk class by July, but didn't love any of the resumes in front of him when it got to be that time, so he decided to push things to the next winter and see if the batch of apps that always roll in after fall semester grades come out brought any "Wow!" candidates.
That's fair. It baffles me a little given the deluge of qualified applicants every judge gets, but all judges have their preferences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:07 pm

nixy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 pm
nixy wrote:

That's fair. It baffles me a little given the deluge of qualified applicants every judge gets, but all judges have their preferences.
Thanks both, I hope the 1.5 month extension is due more to scheduling than holding out for more resumes!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”