How to apply to non-OSCAR judges Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How to apply to non-OSCAR judges

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:36 pm

Do you just cold submit paper copies to chambers? Do you call chambers to see if the judge is accepting apps for your desired term? I haven’t seen much guidance on here about this, and it seems like there’s quite a few non-OSCAR judges.

Anonymous User

Re: How to apply to non-OSCAR judges

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:36 pm
Do you just cold submit paper copies to chambers? Do you call chambers to see if the judge is accepting apps for your desired term? I haven’t seen much guidance on here about this, and it seems like there’s quite a few non-OSCAR judges.
I would go with a paper copy. It is the hardest thing to ignore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:06 pm

OP here. Thanks for replying. Should I first confirm that the judge is accepting apps by calling chambers, or is it OK to send in an app cold?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:06 pm
OP here. Thanks for replying. Should I first confirm that the judge is accepting apps by calling chambers, or is it OK to send in an app cold?
Cold app. Not all judges like people calling chambers. The worst thing that happens to a cold app is they throw it away because they are not hiring (most likely they would just stash it for when they are hiring).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:23 pm

I sent a bunch of cold paper apps, and the worst that happened was I never heard back. A surprising number of chambers emailed me to let me know they weren’t hiring, and I actually got my clerkship through a cold paper app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”